A/C not working and blown fuses

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RHSC

Reaction score
What's up everyone?
I have a 97 XLT with the 5.4. Driving the other day, I switched on the panel vent to cold, and all that came out of the vent was hot air. I then switched on the A/C to normal and then to max settings and got the same result, HOT air. I thought that I may just need an A/C recharge since it hadn't been run since the fall, but then I noticed other problems.
1. No cruise control
2. No reverse lights
I checked my Haynes repair manual and the factory manual, did some investigating, and found a 15 amp fuse blown that controls the A/C clutch, hybrid fan relay, speed control, DRL (whatever that stands for), panel blend door actuator, and EVO steering module.
After replacing the fuse many times, and through process of elimination, I finally disconnected the electrical connector at the compressor clutch cycling switch under the hood on top of the accumulator/dryer and the fuse did not blow. Reverse lights back working, and cruise control back working but no A/C.
Sorry for the long explination, but the more info the better I guess. Has anyone else had similar issues and what was the solution?
I'm going to replace the clutch cycling switch today, only $10, but if that doesn't fix it, then I think my next step would be the compressor clutch.
Any input would be great. Thanks.

Ok, so I replaced the clutch cycling switch. No change. Still blows the fuse as soon as I switch on the A/C. I think the next step is to replace either the A/C clutch itself. Anyone's input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Last edited:

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hello im thinking the ac clutch its self sounds like culprit not real common but they can short out. the compressor could be bad but im not seeing any other problems that would send me that way... also DRL means day time running lights

Last edited:
OP
OP
RHSC

RHSC

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. That's what I was thinking as well. But............I drove to work this morning, and didn't use the A/C or heater controls at all. Got in the truck at the end of the day to come home, it was in the 90's here in Chicago, and without thinking about it, I turned on the A/C and by some sort of miricle, it worked and blew cold air! Thank God! I am pretty sure I have a short some where. I was F*&#ing with it last night, moving around wire looms and unplugging stuff, and I must have moved something just right for the short to clear. I am hopefull that it will last awhile, but I'm normally not that lucky.
Thanks again.