Cruise Control not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buck Nasty

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey gang. I have a '98 Expy 4X4 with the 4.6. I recently purchased it used (naturally). Ever since I've owned it, the cruise hasn't worked. The manual really doesn't specify which fuse is related to the cruise. That would be my first step.

Does anyone know which specific fuse?

Are there common connections that can be loose/disconnected that may cause the CC to stop working?

Basically all I'm looking for is a "flow chart" so-to-speak. Areas I can eliminate one by one to find the cause of this problem.

Anyone have similar experience? I really want the CC to work and want to keep this thing away from a mechanic $$$!

Thanks,
Dan

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fuse 5 and 13 in the junction box. Both 15 amps. And fuse 5 in the power distribution box, 20 amper. If you have an xps viewer I can send you the diagram. Vista has one built in.

Start by checking the cable from the cruise control to the throttle body. The cruise is behind the intake tube on the right side. Should be a turn style throttle thingy try activating it to make sure the throttle moves. You'll see the throttle underneath the cover with 4.6L on it, left side.

mustangswan

Reaction score
You might check the brake deactivation switch on the brake master cylinder, it is a common problem that I have found.

OP
OP
B

Buck Nasty

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cool. Thanks for the tips guys. I start looking. Avro...Can you just IM me with the diagram or do you need e-mail? I have Vista.

martinek

Reaction score
My 1998 Expedition 4X4 Eddie Bauer 5.4L Cruise stopped working

My cruise stopped working. It worked on my way to work. I shut down my truck, went to work, came out to go home and it was no longer operational. The switch on the master cylinder had fluid around it. I pulled it out and replaced it with a brand new one. Still does not work. Fuses are all good and both my horn and my brake lights work properly. What is the problem with it and how can I fix it?