Electronic Throttle Control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom018

Reaction score
Help, I have a 2005 Expedition, XLT. The thing has just started shutting down on me while driving. For no apparent reason, while driving along, it stops running, and after sutting it off, placing it in park, it will start back up.

From what I have found on this site, all things point to the electronic throttle control. I am going to have Auto Zone or Advance Auto parts do a diagnostic and then buy the part there, if the code shows that is the issue.

That brings me to my 2 part question. Auto Zone told me it would cost $100.00 but I think that is just for the sensor, should I replace the whole thing or just the sensor, and is replacing this part somehing that a good mechanic can do?

I use a local guy who is a mechanic for Fed Ex. He does work in his garage as a side job. Before he tells me yes he can do it I wanted to see if this was one of those jobs that needs special tools, equipment or training. Thanks a lot.

seeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After looking on the internet this seems to be a common occurrence on the 2005. Check the TPS as well. Throttle body control unit would be the electronics and might be able to be replaced separately. You might check with ford dealership for a tsb on the problem. Let us know how things work out.

OP
OP
T

Tom018

Reaction score
I hope it is the TPS. I was able to get one (discounted) at Advanced Auto Parts for $60.00. I am dropping it off at my mechanic Sunday afternoon, will let you know what it turned out to be. Thanks

OP
OP
T

Tom018

Reaction score
Yes after restarting the vehicle the check engine light stays on.

The codes I get are P2104 and P2112

P2104 Definition - Throttle actuator control system forced idel. Explanation- Throttle actuator control system is in FMEM mode of forced idle. Proabale casue - Defective APP sensor.

P2112 Defenition - Throttle actuator control system stuck closed. Explanation - ECM has detected the throttle plate is at a lower angle than commanded. Probable casue - Binding throttle body-stuck closed.

Would there be a stuck throttle body if after I restart the vehicle is runs fine? What are the APP sensor and ECM? Could all this be casued by a bad TPS (Throttle Positioning Sensor?)

I can change brakes on my EXP and other cars, and tear down a motocorss bike, would changing the TPS (if that is what it turns out to be) beyond my mechanical abilty?

Last edited:

06blackbauer

Reaction score
Tom,
Any resolution to this issue? Today my 06 Expy threw up the same codes as in this thread, a p2112 and p2104. did cleaning the throttle body fix this?

06blackbauer

Reaction score
Solution

OK, for anybody else searching the forum and tripped acroos this thread with the same sysmptoms and codes, here is the solution that work on my 2006 Expidition w/ 5.4l. (vehicle was dying into failsafe mode every day and quite often but couldnt point out the conditions in which it happened just the codes which which lead me to the throttle body)

1st - I removed the air filter and checked it, i am ashamed to say it looked worse than my shop vac filter. i dumped it out and bought a new filter at AutoZone and had them clear the 2 codes. Drove the vehicle for the next few days without it dying or throwing a code at all.

2nd - The air filter may have been what was the problem but just to be safe i took the vehicle to the dealer and had a "BG" Induction Service performed on it. This service cleans out the air intke system and the fuel system.

So far it been nearly to weeks and vehicle is running normal again and has not died since replacing the air filter. Clogged/Dirty filter must have been hard on the throttle body.

tmajikman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK, for anybody else searching the forum and tripped acroos this thread with the same sysmptoms and codes, here is the solution that work on my 2006 Expidition w/ 5.4l. (vehicle was dying into failsafe mode every day and quite often but couldnt point out the conditions in which it happened just the codes which which lead me to the throttle body)

1st - I removed the air filter and checked it, i am ashamed to say it looked worse than my shop vac filter. i dumped it out and bought a new filter at AutoZone and had them clear the 2 codes. Drove the vehicle for the next few days without it dying or throwing a code at all.

2nd - The air filter may have been what was the problem but just to be safe i took the vehicle to the dealer and had a "BG" Induction Service performed on it. This service cleans out the air intke system and the fuel system.

So far it been nearly to weeks and vehicle is running normal again and has not died since replacing the air filter. Clogged/Dirty filter must have been hard on the throttle body.

or the poor maf sensor was unable to read what air if any was coming in to be able to tell the ecu how much air and fuel was needed, man that thing must have been dirty to put the ecu in limp mode, glad you got her fixed bro.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cleaning the intake butterfly should help a bit. Sometimes, the butterfly gets gunked up, and has trouble returning to it's position.