turn sinal / brake light problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phillip mac

Reaction score
I just bought a 2001 Expedition and noticed yesterday that the interior turn signal indicators on the dash were flashing very fast. So I assumed I had a bad bulb. The front turn signals were flashing but neither of the rear would work. Thought that was a little strange that both of them burned out at the same time. Anyway, went to O'reilleys today and bought two new bulbs. Put them in and still nothing. That's when I discovered that the brake lights didn't work either on both sides but the third (center) brake light does work. I've checked all the fuses in the dash and under the hood. None of them were blown. I don't have an owners manual so I don't know if any of the relays under the hood control any of the functions I'm having trouble with or not.
I took the multi function switch off and made sure there were no problems between the plugs and the switch and reinstalled it. Still no improvements.
Later while driving it the right one started working normally - so now I at least have a right rear brake and turn signal as well as the rear center brake light. Does anyone have any ideas that might be causing this ?

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
shot in the dark here.... but have you checked to make sure their is no corrosion in the socket and good connections.... sorry its Christmas and still putting kid's toys together so brain is fried...lol i'll look into it an see if i can find anything else out or wait till others chime in...

OP
OP
P

phillip mac

Reaction score
the sockets are really clean - checked them when I had the test light out.
from the reading I've done I think it might be the multi function switch but that's a $150 gamble since the dealerships usually wont let you return electrical parts.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
roll the dice i think you'll be happy.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
If you have the pre-wired trailer tow socket, you can pick up a $3 tester to see if the trailer lights work. If they do, then it's a wiring issue to the tail lights. If they don't, then it starts to point to the switch.

That switch may be a good junkyard find.