How to remove fuel pump/drop tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How to remove fuel pump/drop tank in 03

This applies to a 2003 Expy. Should apply to 04-06 as well, but don't guarantee anything. As my siggy says, I'm not responsible if you break something. For educational purposes only :)

-------------------------------

1. Release the fuel system pressure.

2. Drain the fuel tank.

3. Disconnect the vapor hoses at the rear of the fuel tank.
S3JusenfileA0051918_gifgenref.gif

4. If equipped, remove the fuel tank skid plate.
Skidplatesgas.gif

5. NOTE: The 4.6L and 5.4L (2V) engines are equipped with returnless fuel systems. The 5.4L 4V engine is equipped with a return-type fuel system.

Disconnect the vapor hose and the fuel hose(s) forward of the fuel tank.

Vaporfuelhoses.gif

6. CAUTION: Do not support the fuel tank directly beneath the fuel pump mounting area. Damage to the fuel pump assembly can occur.

Position a suitable jack under the fuel tank.

Jack.gif

7. NOTE: The location of the fuel vent hose is critical to fuel system operation. Note the routing of the fuel vent hose at this time.

Remove the fuel tank front and rear support straps and lower the front of the fuel tank approximately 25 mm (1 in).
Tanksupports.gif

8. NOTE: RH shown, LH similar.

Remove the rear LH and RH sway bar bracket nuts and lower the sway bar.

Swaybarbracket.gif

9. Remove the rear driveshaft.

10. Loosen the clamp and disconnect the vent hose from the fuel tank vent spout.

Venthose.gif

11. Disconnect the fuel pump electrical connector.

pumpelectricconnector.gif

12. Remove the fuel tank from the vehicle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ELVATO

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

How to install
----------------------

1. Install the vent hose to the fuel tank vent spout.

venthoseinstall.gif

2. CAUTION: Do not support the fuel tank directly beneath the fuel pump mounting area. Damage to the fuel pump assembly can occur.

CAUTION: Correct routing of the fuel vent hose and fuel tank pressure sensor is critical to fuel system operation. Make sure that the fuel vent hose and fuel tank pressure sensor are routed above the crossmember and brake cables.

NOTE: If a new fuel tank is being installed, transfer the fuel vent hose and fuel tank pressure sensor to the new tank.

Position the fuel tank in the vehicle.

positiontank.gif

3. Connect the fuel pump electrical connector.

pumpelectricconnectorinstall.gif

4. Install the rear driveshaft.

5. NOTE: RH shown, LH similar.

Raise the rear sway bar and install the LH and RH sway bar brackets.

Swaybarbracket.gif

6. Install the front and rear support straps.

installtankstaps.gif

7. If equipped, install the fuel tank skid plate.

installskidplate.gif

8. NOTE: The 4.6L and 5.4L (2V) engines are equipped with returnless fuel systems. The 5.4L 4V engine is equipped with a return-type fuel system.

Connect the vapor hose and the fuel hose(s) forward of the fuel tank.

Vaporfuelhoses.gif

9. Connect the vapor hoses at the rear of the fuel tank.

S3JusenfileA0051918_gifgenref.gif

10. Connect the fuel filler hose.

fuelfillerhoseinstall.gif

11. Fill the fuel tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ELVATO

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll post how to remove the pump tomorrow, though it basically involves releasing some quick releases from pump, and twisting off the cap that holds it in place.

davesexplorer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice instructions, I know after doing my explorers pump and putting in a 255lph in the mustang the expedition will be just a little bit bigger and probably more awkward.

OP
OP
ELVATO

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Removing fuel pump
-----------------------------------------

WARNING: Do not smoke, carry lighted tobacco or open flame of any type when working on or near any fuel-related component. Highly flammable mixtures are always present and can be ignited, resulting in possible personal injury.

WARNING: Fuel in the fuel system remains under high pressure even when the engine is not running. Before servicing or disconnecting any of the fuel lines or fuel system components, the fuel system pressure must be relieved to prevent accidental spraying of fuel, causing personal injury or a fire hazard.

1. Remove the fuel tank. See above^^

2. Disconnect the quick release fittings from the fuel pump.
S3JusenfileA0045982_gifgenref.gif

3. Remove the fuel pump lock ring. Ford uses a special tool. Not sure if it's removable without it?
S3JusenfileA0045946_gifgenref.gif

4. CAUTION: Carefully remove the fuel pump assembly to avoid damaging the fuel level sensor.

Remove the fuel pump assembly.

5. CAUTION: Note the location of the fuel pump alignment tabs.

Remove the O-ring.

S3JusenfileA0045981_gifgenref.gif

6. Remove the fuel level sensor.

7. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

OP
OP
ELVATO

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Removing Fuel Sensor
---------------------------------
1. Remove the fuel pump module. See above^^

2. Remove the shrink wrap and disconnect the electrical connector.
S3JusenfileA0047460_gifgenref.gif

3. Remove the fastener and lift the fuel level sensor from the fuel pump module.
S3JusenfileA0047454_gifgenref.gif

4. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

OP
OP
ELVATO

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Removing Rear Drive shaft
------------------------------------

1. CAUTION: The electrical power to the air suspension system must be shut off prior to hoisting, jacking or towing an air suspension vehicle. This can be accomplished by turning off the air suspension switch located in the rear jack storage area. Failure to do so can result in the unexpected inflation or deflation of the air springs, which can result in shifting of the vehicle during these operations. Failure to follow these instructions may result in personal injury.

With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position the vehicle on a hoist.

2. Index-mark the driveshaft flange and the rear axle pinion flange.
S3JusenfileA0031369_gifgenref.gif

3. Remove the four bolts.
S3JusenfileDE1541A_gifgenref.gif

4. CAUTION: The driveshaft flange fits tightly on the rear axle pinion flange pilot. Never hammer on the driveshaft or any of its components to disconnect the driveshaft from the pinion flange. Pry only in the area shown, with a suitable tool, to disconnect the driveshaft flange from the pinion flange.

Using a suitable tool as shown, disconnect the driveshaft flange from the rear axle pinion flange.
S3JusenfileA0024581_gifgenref.gif

5. NOTE: Do not rotate the driveshaft when removing the slip yoke from the transmission output shaft.

Index-mark the driveshaft slip yoke and the transmission extension housing.
- Mark the transmission output shaft to the transmission extension housing after removing the driveshaft.
S3JusenfileA0014615_gifgenref.gif

6. CAUTION: Coat the threads of the original bolts with sealer.

CAUTION: The driveshaft flange fits tightly on the rear axle pinion flange pilot. To make sure that the driveshaft flange seats squarely on the pinion flange, tighten the bolts evenly in a cross pattern as shown.

CAUTION: Make sure all index marks are aligned.

7. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
S3JusenfileA0031393_gifgenref.gif

LightningExpo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i had a previous post on this subject are these the instructions you were going to give me?

OP
OP
ELVATO

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, these are for a 2003. Yours is an 01, right? I can post those later today. Yours seems to be easier since you don't have to remove the drive shaft :)

Last edited:

LightningExpo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yeah its an 01 and that would be greatly appreciated because my fuel pump just went out again after about 2 months :/ i think i may have to bite the bullet and spend the money and get an oem part. im going to try and do it myself this time because labor is killer on price, my cars been down for about a week now