Lost the turn signals, how to replace multifunction switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Angry Snail

Reaction score
Lost the turn signals

Well we just picked the truck up on Saturday and everything has been fine save for some small 'fix when I get to it' issues. Drove it today and everything was fine - park for a few hours and get back in the truck. Wife says her heated seat light isn't working :confused: Ok, no big deal the light works on the drivers seat but doesn't actually heat. I check the drivers seat and now the light doesn't even come on. Hmmm

Still, no problem. Never had heated seats before so no big deal. However, I come to a corner and when I signal - nothing on the dashboard :confused::confused::confused:

I have to push the MFS up a little bit to get the dash turn signal indicator to come on - really touchy tho. Has to be messed with for a few to get it to come on - the turn signals outside will work doing this however they don't flash. You have to ghetto flash if anyone understands that.

So......have I run into my first MFS gone bad with the Expy? I had to replace one on our Explorer when we got it too so i'm not that upset about it.

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its possible its the MFS but another thing that comes to mind is the turn signal switch which is usually located behind the steering wheel (have to take steering wheel off) but thats worse case scenario. Have you checked the relay?

OP
OP
A

Angry Snail

Reaction score
Its possible its the MFS but another thing that comes to mind is the turn signal switch which is usually located behind the steering wheel (have to take steering wheel off) but thats worse case scenario. Have you checked the relay?

No I haven't checked the relay yet - I've been scouring the owners manual and I haven't found the location of the fuse, relay or anything else in the manual that shows "Indicator" "Blinker" "Turn Signal" etc...

Also haven't found anything relating to a fuse or relay for the heated seats either.

Should I pickup a Haynes manual?

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For 11 bucks (or how much ever they cost) they aren't a bad thing to have around, especially if you do your own maintainence.

First off, check fuses 13 and 23 in the fuse box.

Do your hazard lamps work/flash?

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure about the heated seats since i dont have them in mine but ive heard of the heating element going bad.

OP
OP
A

Angry Snail

Reaction score
Not sure about the heated seats since i dont have them in mine but ive heard of the heating element going bad.

Yeah what's weird tho is that the lights on the seats at least lit up. The passenger side actually worked (heat) but the driver side just lit up.

Now, it's a weird coincidence that at the same time we lost turn signals we lost the lights on the seats as well.

Heading out to check the flashers now.

OP
OP
A

Angry Snail

Reaction score
Just checked the flashers, they work perfect inside and out. Dash indicators are blinking, outside flashers are working.

Brake lights are working as well. I've tried the tilt wheel trick and that didn't make a difference.

Yes we do our own work, i'm a former ASE tech so that's not an issue.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm, so it's probably the MFS. I'll post instructions on to remove it (and test it) tomorrow.

OP
OP
A

Angry Snail

Reaction score
Thank you. I had to replace the MFS in our 96 Explorer so i'm guessing it's going to be a similar job.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here they are, how to replace the mutlifunction switch on a 2000 Expedition. 1997-2002 should be similar, though no guarantees.

As always, I'm not responsible if you break something.
----------------------------------------------------------
Removal

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.

2. Remove the ignition switch lock cylinder.
a. Insert the ignition key into the ignition switch lock cylinder and turn to the RUN position.
b. Insert a punch through the hole in the lower steering column shroud and push the ignition switch lock cylinder release tab while pulling out the ignition switch lock cylinder.
2mfs.gif

3. Twist the tilt wheel handle and shank and remove.
3mfs.gif

4. NOTE: Move gear selector to lowest position to access steering column opening cover.

Release the four clips and remove the steering column opening cover.
4mfs.gif

5. Remove the upper and lower steering column shrouds.
a. Remove the three screws.
b. Remove the lower steering column shroud.
c. Remove the upper steering column shroud.
5mfs.gif

6. Remove the multi function switch.
a. Remove the two screws.
b. Disconnect the electrical connectors.
c. Remove the multi function switch.
6mfs.gif

Installation

1. NOTE: When the battery is disconnected and reconnected, some abnormal drive symptoms may occur while the vehicle relearns its adaptive strategy. The vehicle may need to be driven 16 km (10 mi) or more to relearn the strategy.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.
1mfsinstall.gif

Last edited: