Door Rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toocivil

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just thought I would get this out to anyone experienceing the same problem. I have a 2003 expedition that I bought back in January of this year. Its a good truck and excellent for hauling the family around. It currently has about 36k on it. Since I got it I have had it into the dealer a couple of times for a door rattle in all the doors. But mainly the drivers door since that is the one I sit next to. The first time I was told it was normal body noise. I let it drive me nuts for another month then took it to the dealer to see if they could try to fix it again. Thanks to everyone here I was able to get the TSB and take it to the dealer. This time the dealer says there is a TSB for the latches on the doors and the seals on the doors. I have to wait a few days for the parts but hopefully this will take care of it. The dealer said Ford will pay for all the cost of the repair and that they would do all four doors. I guess it was my yelling this time and the threat that if it wasn't fixed I would buy a honda or toyota next time. I'll let you all know how it goes.:cool:

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wish I could have caught that while my 03 was still under warranty. My doors only rattle between speeds of 90 - 100mph though.

OP
OP
T

toocivil

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My factory warranty has experied also. However according to the dealer I go to Ford is paying the repairs because of the TSB. The work is being done today. Hopefully it is better than it was. In a couple of weeks I'll be replacing all of the factory speakers with some new 4-ways I bought on crutchfield.

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could you give me the tsb? I noticed my doors rattling at about 80mph today. Let us know how those speakers turn out.

OP
OP
T

toocivil

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well the work is all done and let me say it is a major improvement on the door rattle. After talking with the mechanic at the ford dealer it seems ford realizes that they have a problem. However it is not big enough to do the whole recall thing. The new seals that were installed are wider and thicker. The new latches on the drivers side also seem to close/hold tighter. According to the mechanic the new seal is what they are installing on the newer expeditons. The TSB numbers, from what I could find, for the door rattle are 16222, issued 9-1-2002. And 17084, issued 8-1-2003. The second TSB number deals with noise from the door clading at highway speeds. Both TSB's call for replacing the affected seals and latches.

As for the speakers I'll be starting on those tonight if they arrive. I'll let you know how they sound.

One piece of advice I can give about this whole thing is to stick to your guns if the dealer says its normal noise. Let me just say it is not normal noise.

I believe ford realizes there is a problem. They just don't want to admit it.

OP
OP
T

toocivil

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The new speakers are in and they sound a lot better than the stock ones. I would recomend doing it to anyone. I did the speakers myself. I only took a couple of hours to do all four doors. Next mod is to talk the wife into dual pipes.