Location of EVAP cansiter purge solenoid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikegigabyte

Full Access Members
Reaction score
are you having a smog problem or idle?
I remember looking for this before for some reason, im thinking it was a code that popped up for me, I think its near the gas tank somewhere because I wanted to replace that part too, but ended up being something else so I never got to it

OP
OP
G

ghettoracer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It was a p1451 code but it turned out to be an electrical issue to that particular part.

mikegigabyte

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I now remember why I had looked for that part, I had reset my computer and went to get smogged and didnt pass because the computer didnt go through all the checks yet. A week later I was still waiting on one code to finish and I had over 750 miles. I looked up the part and it was that canister but later I found out I needed to drive under 40mph for a while for it to check it. Thats why I never had to fix it.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the 2000-2002 Expeditions, the evap canister:

-is located along the left frame rail behind the fuel tank.
-contains activated carbon.
-stores fuel vapors.

On the 2003 (and I'm guess up to 2006) Expedition, the evap canister:

-is located above the spare tire carrier behind the fuel tank.
-contains activated carbon.
-stores fuel vapors.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

ghettoracer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah mine turned out to be a bad line and popped that code P1451. I guess those lines are really fragile after time.

Ex0r

Reaction score
You said it was an electrical problem? What was the solution to it, and what line was it? Are they just normal rubber hoses? I have the code too, and am looking to get it fixed.

Does it take long to diagnose the hoses and replace them?

OP
OP
G

ghettoracer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well the electrical problem was for the ECM and wasn't grounded properly but that wasnt throwing the code. The vacuum lines were bad and were causing it to do this hesitation going up hill and making it flash the CEL and stood on afterwards. Took it to a shop and they replaced all the EVAP solenoid lines and the code went away. you can use a normal rubber hose. but you got to get the right size. my mechanic used the smoke leak detector machine to find it.

tilliepeople

Reaction score
I realize this thread is 10ish years old but I think it is still relevant to mention this.
ghettoracer mentions you can use normal rubber hose when replacing the vacuum lines .
Not a real good idea as normal lines would collapse .found this out the hard way when the "normal" rubber hose I used for the dash vents collapsed and I had to pull the dash again.
I am actually in this thread looking for the placement of the Evap solenoid on my 2004 and I finally found it in one of Elvatos posts confirming what I suspected,under the spare tire.
I want to thank everyone on this forum for the help I get as my 2001 and 2004 are becoming labor intensive.