P0136 and P0141

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HI Expedition

Reaction score
My expedition has a couple new codes: PO136 and P0141 (along with P0171 and P0174).

I recently changed all of my O2 sensors. I am wondering if this is just a maintenance code.

Does anyone have an idea about the cause of these codes? After reading, it seems to be a common problem but none of the solutions have worked.

I have changed my fuel filter, air filter, cleaned the MAF, cleaned the intake (but not the throttle body), changed most of the plugs (who designed that), changed the O2 sensors, changed the battery and alternator, checked the function of the injectors, ran injector cleaner twice.

Still the codes come back. Any new ideas that have solved this problem?

sidneye

Reaction score
PO136 O2 sensor circuit malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2).

P0156 Heated O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2, Sensor 2)

This is what I found after a little research. Is the truck running good now and Have you rest your computer. (clear codes)

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If those codes are related to your new sensors (I'll assume sid has the right explanation for them...

Did you install them correctly, and are they good and tight?

Are the conectors snug?

Did you get the correct ones?

Did you drop them before installing them? Sensors MFRs say to replace a new sensor if you drop it.

Also, it appears that these are for the rear sensors. I've never heard of these going out, only the fronts. Do you have your original rear sensors?

I'd try resetting your ECU as syd mentions. If that doesn't work, I'd install the old sensors.

But check to make sure that they are installed correctly first.

sidneye

Reaction score
Iv also read with these 4 codes together it normally points to a vacume leak. causing a lean report. chrck all your cacume line with your truck running. Just run your hand along them and also listen for a hissing sound. good luck

OP
OP
H

HI Expedition

Reaction score
The code constantly comes up even after repairs. I will try to check the rear sensors and put in the old ones if necessary. The connector was very difficult to get to. Maybe, it is loose.

I also found my pcv valve disconnected and when I replaced it is when the P0136 and P0141 codes appeared. Also, my gas mileage dropped to 10 MPG.

sidneye

Reaction score
I would have to stick with a vacume leak with that kind of mpg. check the vacume line that conects to the pvc valve. I will leak back near the back of the engine. Note check them with the engine running. It sound like a small leak.

OP
OP
H

HI Expedition

Reaction score
All of my O2 sensors showed malfunctions so I changed them back to the old ones which are bosche as well. I bought the new sensors on ebay. They looked shiny, but I guess that does not mean they work. They had a red discolorization as well as the spark plugs. I read that it is from fuel additives. I like my fuel injector cleaners and my mystery oil. Where I live also started ethanol in the fuel.

I am going to cross my fingers and hope that my gas mileage improves.

I also checked for vacuum leaks by feeling the hoses. They seemed fine, but the connection for the pcv at the intake manifold seems soft. There is a lot of suction at the valve though.

Last edited:

sidneye

Reaction score
Replace the pvc line. thats your 1st sign its going bad. I had to replace mine. It will colaps under vacuum them then a hole will form.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpwiseman