Go Back   Ford Expedition Forum > Ford Expedition Forum > General Discussion

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

General Discussion

Tune up

This is a discussion on Tune up within the General Discussion forums, part of the Ford Expedition Forum category!
Register to remove these ads. It's free! I have a 98 with a 5.4 and have put almost 20k miles ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2009, 11:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tune up

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
I have a 98 with a 5.4 and have put almost 20k miles on it since I bought it. I want to give it a tune up but Ive read some articles about the plugs stripping in the head and now I am concerned. Has anyone had a problem with this? Any little tricks I should be aware of would be great. Thanks.
88 Mustang LX-street outlaw-331 ci,gt-40 intake,tfs heads,e-303 cam,mac long tubes,pro flow maf,strange 31 spline axles,detroit locker,tremec 3550,flowmaster 40 with turndowns,vortech s-trim, 55 lb injectors,procharger fuel pumps,weld big n' littles,275/60 mickey t drag radials.10.73 @125 mph
87 Buick GN-street sleeper-231ci stock motor,te61 turbo,3" dp,3" single exhaust,3000 stall coverter,ck trans,alky,255 lph pump,60/65lb injectors,stretched intercooler. 12.1 @115mph
07 Suzuki Hayabusa GSXR 1300-electric blue,slip ons,blue led kit,blue xenon bulbs,frame sliders
toomanytoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Full Access Members

Expys have aluminum heads. seeing how it is softer and more malleable when warmer and brittle when its colder, so stripping and related issues are very possible.

Infact this happens often enough that Ford, or so I'm told, has made specific parts for re-tapping the hole. so even if one does get stripped you can just disconnect the solenoid to that fuel injector and run it to the closest auto repair shop.

I'd say if you let the car cool down to the base mark on the temp gauge and wait until you have about 4 hours set aside to take your time on this and always HAND START the plugs with some tubing or, I wouldn't recommend this AT ALL, needle nose pliers.

Last edited by Black_Exhaust; 12-15-2009 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Grammarical errors
Black_Exhaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

technical advisor

It may also help to spray some good penetrating oil like PB Blaster in each of the holes and let it work for an hour or so.

The two companies that make repair kits are:

http://www.timesert.com/html/triton_repair.html

http://fulltorque.com/sparkplug.htm

The full torque seem much more difficult to install, but they are the only ones approved by Ford

1998 XLT 4x4 5.4, Rancho 4" lift w/RS9000 shocks, 3" Body Lift, 35" BFG AT KO on Weld Wheels, Tactical Armor Group Bumper, Tuff Stuff 12,500 lb winch, Rancho Skid Plate, Flares, Magnaflow SS Dual exhaust, Dual Optima Red Tops, Pioneer Touch Screen Nav Unit, Pioneer DVD w/ 7" Drop Down, Planet Audio 5ch amp w/ Punch 10" Sub, Avatal Alarm w/ Remote Start, Backup Camera w/ 10" Monitor SOLD 5/20/12
tonydiv is offline   Reply With Quote