Go Back   Ford Expedition Forum > Ford Expedition Forum > 1st Gen - 1997 - 2002

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

1st Gen - 1997 - 2002

cylinder 2 misfire....code P0302

This is a discussion on cylinder 2 misfire....code P0302 within the 1st Gen - 1997 - 2002 forums, part of the Ford Expedition Forum category!
Register to remove these ads. It's free! hey guys, i have a 98 5.4 expo and today while driving on ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2011, 01:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Full Access Members

Default cylinder 2 misfire....code P0302

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
hey guys, i have a 98 5.4 expo and today while driving on the highway i noticed my CEL flashing at me so i got off the next exit and while accelerating i felt a shaking/vibration. I pulled into the first parking lot i could find and sat there to see how it was idling, the flashing CEL stopped and turned off but the truck was idling pretty rough so i decided to head home. It seemed to cruise fine/normal on the highway but it has a very noticeable shake and inconsistent power while accelerating or at idle. brought it by autozone and it is a P0302 code which is a misfire on cylinder 2. Just wanted to see if any of you guys have had any similar issues and what ended up being the problem. thanks
JTKustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

Full Access Members

how many miles and have your plugs and coil packs been replaced. it may be a coil. or it may make you play the game. the game is when you replace one coil then clear the code just to have your cel come back on and tell you its another cylinder. thats when its about time to replace all your plugs and cops
2000eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

technical advisor

JT, take a look at the top of #2 COP. Do you see a crack in the clear top (probably show up as a white squiggly line)? If yes, replace the coil and see what the truck drives like then. Odds are, that is your issue. Had similar problems with my truck and every time it was a COP.
Thermo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Full Access Members

agree with thermo. everytime it was a cop. last time it was #4. my heater hose was dripping coolant on to it. so ford patched the hose and replaced the cop.

DEAD!!!!

http://www.lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala.com/
panda24619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Full Access Members

thanks for the help guys, ended up being the cop on cylinder 2, so im replacing that as well as all the plugs since i realized today that the last time the plugs were changed was over 70,000 miles ago
JTKustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

hello friends i have a 99 4.6 expedition. every time it rains or it is moist outside the trucks runs rough. i checked it with a code reader and i get a p 302 missfire on cyl #2 code. i replaced both coil packs and plugs and wires but i still get the same prob when it rains. once it drys out it runs smooth. What is getting moisture in it to cause this prob. Please help if anyone has had this prob!!!
nhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Supporting Member

could be the wire connection to the coil possibly? or a bad boot on the coil

2012 Jeep Patriot....
Formerly a 99 expy with 11" lift and 37s...
walnuts4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

I recently had the same problem...I just got the car, went for a long drive and when I accelerated very fast.... gugunk gugunk gugunk!!! CEL flashed, went away, flash went away.Took it to the Ford dealer to check the light and they said #4 cylinder missfiring. Of course they say replace all coils and plugs for their obsurd price of $500. After the dealer it runs worse!!!!!!!!!! I come here to this forum and peers immediatly responded, thanks to all those that did, I go and inspect the coil myself, and the S.O.B's left my coil practically in pieces and unbolted!!! So I replaced the coil and runs perfect!
My advice to all, NEVER go to the dealer, instead come here. I used to work for motorcycle dealers and dealers are ALL the same. They just want to bend you over backwards and stick it in you till it comes out your mouth.
elliottp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Originally Posted by JTKustoms View Post
hey guys, i have a 98 5.4 expo and today while driving on the highway i noticed my CEL flashing at me so i got off the next exit and while accelerating i felt a shaking/vibration. I pulled into the first parking lot i could find and sat there to see how it was idling, the flashing CEL stopped and turned off but the truck was idling pretty rough so i decided to head home. It seemed to cruise fine/normal on the highway but it has a very noticeable shake and inconsistent power while accelerating or at idle. brought it by autozone and it is a P0302 code which is a misfire on cylinder 2. Just wanted to see if any of you guys have had any similar issues and what ended up being the problem. thanks
[Cesar] Im also having the same problem po302 misfire ...my truck is a 97 same engine 5.4 I want to fix it my self but not really sure I know how...but if someone could tell me which side is cylinder 2 is located it ...I would really appreciate it ..
Cesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Full Access Members

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Had the same issue, make sure water did not get into the spark plug hole.