No Oil Pressure!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

01XLT

Reaction score
I got up this morning and went to work, half way there, I look down at my gauges and the oil pressure light was on and was showing no oil pressure at all. As I turned a pale white and realized I need to shut it down, I put it in nutral and coasted to a stop in a parking lot. I wated a couple of minutes and restarted it, oil pressure was fine, no wierd noises. You think it was a "fluke", or I am low of oil or is it something brewing? Is there a history of the oil pumps in the Epx's going out? The truck is a 2001 XLT with 101,000 miles, oil changes every 2,500 miles. What do you guys think? Fluke, time for and oil change (it's time), I really do not know what to do. My Cobra has a 4.6 but it has great oil pressure the instant of startup, but it is supercharged, I do not know if that makes a difference. Any suggestions, comments?

OP
OP

01XLT

Reaction score
I really need advice here, It does it on the morning cold start, I will crank it up and it will read normal for about 5 seconds and then flattline (OIL PRESSURE GUAGE), I will gently rev to about 2 grand and it will jump to normal then flatt line again. I will let the truck idle for about a minute/minute and a half, put it in drive slowly take off and it is fine for the rest of the day. I am totally baffled about what it could be. The oil sending unit? The oil pump (god forbid)? The oil level is low? The oil level sinsor? I changed the oil about a week ago and put in Catrol GTX High Milage with a K&N Oil Filter hoping it would help, I check the oil EVERY DAY, It is not leaking it or burning it, I am confused. Any thoughts?

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like your oil pump is going. But it could be as simple as the sending unit. I do not know how to test the sending unit but imagine that it cannot be too expensive.

The oil level doesn't have anything to do with the oil pressure light/guage. And there is no sensor for that function.

OP
OP

01XLT

Reaction score
What it does is, I will start it up and only after the engine gets to operating tempreture, the oil pressure gauge will function, after that first 5 minutes of driving, the needle works fine for ther est of the day. I think it is a short or maybe the oil pressure sending unit, I HOPE IT IS NOT THE OIL PUMP, that would suck. Any suggestions?

Robert Paulson

Reaction score
any knocking when there is "no pressure"?

my mustang's gauge would do the same thing, but i knew there was pressure due to the lack of knocking/engine seizure---it turned out to be a bad connection at the sending unit. took 2-3 beers and 20 minutes to troubleshoot. not too sure where the unit is on the expy though. i guess i'll figure that out when it goes LOL.

OP
OP

01XLT

Reaction score
Well that is what I am thinking it is, a bad connection. Because I know the temp guage and the oil pressure gauge are connected at some point in the wiring, because there is no pinging or knocking of any kind when the oil pressure guage is flattline but when the truck reaches operating temp at about 4-5 minutes of driving, the oil pressure reads normal. It is like the oil pr. gauge is dependant on the temp gauge. Weired right? I have carfully sat and listen to the motor running when this first happend and the 4.6 sounded fine, quiet and smooth, when the thermo opened, the needle would go to normal and the oil pressure needle would follow right along and the truck is fine. So, what do you guys think?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
othermrsikes