Fog lights to factory switch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97_edition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 97 XLT, and it doesn't have auto lights or fog light controls. It is just the standard parking lights and headlights.

1. Can I buy another switch that has fog light controls and hook it up to my existing wire harness? Would I need a separate fog light harness for the fog lights or could I just use single wire terminal connections to the fog light pins on the switch?

2. Do the auto headlight switches have different connection/pin out? I have heard some talk of the EB editions having different wire harness connections, does this apply to the headlight/foglight switch?

3. Also, is it possible to hookup the auto headlight switch to a vehicle that was not factory equipped? Is there a sensor for this automatic feature? If so where is it located on the vehicle?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP

97_edition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, I didn't take off my current switch yet, but will I need a wire harness for the fog light part of the switch? I understand how the switch works just not sure if the fog lights require a different plug to the switch than mine has on it already.

Since my XLT was not factory equipped with fogs. I need the plug for the switch and then I will need to run wires to the fog lights and I will probably need the plugs for the fog lights them selves. Correct?

Sorry if I made this question more difficult than it really is. I just want to hook up a set of factory fog lights controlled by a factory switch.

MFSSCOTT

Reaction score
Ok, I didn't take off my current switch yet, but will I need a wire harness for the fog light part of the switch? I understand how the switch works just not sure if the fog lights require a different plug to the switch than mine has on it already.

Since my XLT was not factory equipped with fogs. I need the plug for the switch and then I will need to run wires to the fog lights and I will probably need the plugs for the fog lights them selves. Correct?

Sorry if I made this question more difficult than it really is. I just want to hook up a set of factory fog lights controlled by a factory switch.

I have a 98 XLTand didn't have foglights either,all you need is the foglight assy's and headlight switch with foglights from Ford.The wiring harness is already behind the bumper,just plug the weather connector into each foglight!

tritonman5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 98 XLTand didn't have foglights either,all you need is the foglight assy's and headlight switch with foglights from Ford.The wiring harness is already behind the bumper,just plug the weather connector into each foglight!

damn i never knew it cud be that easy,my buddy has a 99 expo w/o fls and he a brought set with fl bumber and ran em on toggle switches so now he can cruise wit jus the side markers and fogs, a sick feature i wish the 97-02 expos

OP
OP

97_edition

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Thanks so much MFSSCOTT, I agree, I didn't think it would be that easy.

Any thoughts on the Automatic lights?

OP
OP

97_edition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks so much MFSSCOTT, I agree, I didn't think it would be that easy.

Any thoughts on the Automatic lights?

I also am looking to install the auto lamp feature on my expy along with fog lamps. I found this post on the F150 forum but I am unsure about the amplifier and where to get the sensor panel and amplifier from (Cheaper than dealer). Any one know what the amplifer looks like? Or the sensor? Pictures are helpful..:D

http://www.f150online.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=324640

Added links to other posts from F150 forum. It lists some part numbers that may be helpful. Not sure how different the part numbers are, but it gives some insight to how the dealers may want to hook up auto lamps or DRL.
http://www.f150online.com/forums/electrical-systems/121094-proper-way-doing-drls-autolamp.html
http://www.f150online.com/forums/electrical-systems/123608-auto-lamps-installed.html

This helped me out greatly.

Last edited:

seeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Automatic lights

I have a 2002 with Automatic lights that i installed. Put two driving lights on. Wired each light to a separate headlight with a 16-14 gauge quick splice, that i got from the parts store. The driving lights come on with the headlights.
They stay on if you have your high or low beams on. Has worked great for two years.

OP
OP

97_edition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2002 with Automatic lights that i installed. Put two driving lights on. Wired each light to a separate headlight with a 16-14 gauge quick splice, that i got from the parts store. The driving lights come on with the headlights.
They stay on if you have your high or low beams on. Has worked great for two years.

Where did you get the sensor/amplifer from and did you also need the dash panel with the "cutout"?

I was talking to a guy at fordparts.com and he gave me part numbers for my 97 XLT but said "The amplifier for your vehicle is F6DZ-13A018-AA, it has been removed from service by Ford I suggest you contact your Ford dealer they may have other resources available for you to obtain the part."

And the dash panel? "This is the part number for the dash panel for your Expedition F65Z-1504320-AAD, It is not available thru the site for pricing and availability you need to contact your Ford dealer."

I guess salvage yard is going to be the best, well cheapest route.