Go Back   Ford Expedition Forum > Ford Expedition Forum > Towing & Hauling

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Towing & Hauling

Brake controller

This is a discussion on Brake controller within the Towing & Hauling forums, part of the Ford Expedition Forum category!
Register to remove these ads. It's free! I just picked up an 03 EB - my first Expey and a ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 06:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Brake controller

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
I just picked up an 03 EB - my first Expey and a replacement to an Envoy which just didn't do the trick.

I have the HD towing package (apparently) but need to install a brake controller. I will be towing a two horse trailer (and usually just one horse - total weight of ~3500lb). Any recommendation? Also, where is the plug located under the dash? I looked but didn't see an empty plug.
Solid_Hit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Full Access Members

Do you have the stock 7 Pin wiring? if not you don't have the HD tow package - at least that is my understanding - which means you do not have the plug. I love my Prodigy P3 control -check out http://expeditionforum.com/showthrea...t=thevalleyboy

I can take a photo of the connector location once the wife returns with the Expy
Modified Stock Stereo - added 1/8" stereo input to Stock Nav Unit w/Cd changer - check out
http://www.expeditionforum.com/showt...ux+input+stock
All Stock at the moment, other than a P3 Brake Control, and I have a Scanguage II
thevalleyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks. It was by reading some other threads that I learned I had the HD towing package so ... yes, it has the 7 pin plug as well as the 4 pin flat.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Full Access Members

Even if you do not have the HD tow package you will have the pre wire for the brake controler.

Locate the OBDII port ( under steering wheel to right side) the pre wire conector will be connected to the metal bracket that holds the OBDII plug.

Rear cat and Y pipe delete
Smoked corners, tails, and third brake light
2 Hella 500 FF behind grille
8000K HIDs Heads and Fogs

Soon to come

Shorty Headers
3.5" Fabtech 2wd lift kit
33" Tires
Racenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

Found it - thank you! Now ... which controller should I get?
Old 02-05-2011, 11:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

We sell a ton of brake controllers. The Tekonsha Prodigy line is our best seller.

I strongly recommend going with a proportional controller. They use little pendulums or accelerometers, the same thing in your smart phone that allows you to turn the phone and the display rotates the image.

A proportional controller reads the nose dip the vehicle takes when brakes are applied, the harder you brake, the harder the nose dips, the more power the controller sends back to the trailer. It keeps the whole braking operation smooth. You won't feel like the trailer is pushing or pulling on the truck when braking once you get the controller set up.

Here's an FAQ article that goes over the features and functions of a brake controller. Should be pretty helpful when shopping around.
http://www.etrailer.com/faq-brakecontroller.aspx

We also have a video of a controller being installed on a 2007 Expy. Should give you a good idea of the process.
http://www.etrailer.com/tv-brake-con...xpedition.aspx
etrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

Full Access Members

I've heard the Prodigy is a good controller, but haven't had any experience with it as my trailer is surge brakes.

2006 EB
Stoned06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

I concur w/etrailer. The Prodigy P-3 is a sweet little unit that mounts nicely (with two self-tapping screws) to the right of the steering column. The cable from the P-3 runs down, forward and then up into the Ford-supplied empty connector socket. I then used a few tie-ties to keep the cable up and out of the way of my leg.

The Prod can be mounted on an angle, so it will work nicely on the sloped dash panel to the right of the steering column. There are limits as to how much the angle can be--it cannot be mounted pointed straight up in the air. Some brake controllers cannot tolerate (read: won't work) mounting beyond a ten degree or so angle from horizontal. Check that out before purchase.

The P-3 is simple to set up and the instructions are very clear.

And for the record, I have no connection or affiliation with etrailer.
hautevue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

Anyone have experience with this one? i-stop iq brake controller . It has a great price on ebay.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Full Access Members

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
cheap might not be the best answer, if you tow any amount of weight go with a good control, cheap ones are fine for light loads, but the better ones make a huge difference with more weight - just my 2 cents, then again I got my P3 at cost... you can also get a factory harness that simply plug in the to the back of the P3 and into the stock ford plug, no wiring, makes removing it the the winter a snap
Modified Stock Stereo - added 1/8" stereo input to Stock Nav Unit w/Cd changer - check out
http://www.expeditionforum.com/showt...ux+input+stock
All Stock at the moment, other than a P3 Brake Control, and I have a Scanguage II
thevalleyboy is offline   Reply With Quote