Go Back   Ford Expedition Forum > Ford Expedition Forum > Transmission & Drive train

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Transmission & Drive train

Replacing Serpentine Belt

This is a discussion on Replacing Serpentine Belt within the Transmission & Drive train forums, part of the Ford Expedition Forum category!
I have a 1999 EXT 4.6 and I am trying to install a serpentine belt but I need to bypass ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2005, 07:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Replacing Serpentine Belt

I have a 1999 EXT 4.6 and I am trying to install a serpentine belt but I need to bypass the ac compressor! They sell a 79 inch belt for this situation but no one knows how to install it the correct way. Can anyone help me get a hold of a diagram or instructions so I can give it to my mechanic. The only reason I am trying to bypass the ac compressor is because the compressor went bad and I wont have the money to fix it for a couple of weeks and I still need to drive to work ! . so I am trying to do this as a temporary solution til then.

Thanx from any help anybody can give me!
GeorgeTown
GEORGETOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 09:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Full Access Members

Take a look under the hood. On my '98 there is a sticker that shows how the belt is installed. It may show how to do this for both AC and non-AC applications.

'98 Red EB
BFG LT285/70/R17 T/A KO's
Hellwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Air Lift 1000 Series Rear Air Springs
Rancho RS9000X's Front/Rear
Rancho Streering Stb
K&N Drop-in
Brembo OEM Rotors
Raybestos Ceramic Pads
Mobile-1 Synthetic Motor Oil
Purolator Pure One Oil Filter
(Synthetic Everything Baby!!)
Kenwood 2-ways on all doors
(rear sub tbd soon..)
Sylvania Silverstars - Hdlmps & Fogs
2005 Fleetwood Niagara Camper (PU)
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller
rwinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 09:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

I just checked and my diagram only shows how to install it with the ac compressor. I was going to feel mighty stupid if the answer was there ! lol
If yours shows it how to do it without can youlet me know how

Thanx
GEORGETOWN
2003 5.4 with 22 inch Dvinci rims with 305/45/22 tires, Sony XNV-770BT w/navi , 10 inch flip down in rear, HID's in the front headlight and fog lights, put 20% tint on top of factory tint on rear door windows and windows in cargo area, Oh yeah and Train horns attached under the front grill (Worth every dollar!) lol
Old 03-20-2005, 08:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default I GOT IT! :cheers:

HEY I FOUND THE WAY TO BYPASS THE compressor!! I went to Auto Zone and a real cocky guy who works there told me how to do it and said that if I couldnt do it he would do it for me. He told me just route it normal until you get to the compressor then bypass the compressor and wrap it around the idle pulley the opposite way and that should do it. I did what he told me and it worked perfectly!!! I didnt realize it was so easy to remove and replace the serpentine belt! Took me a total of 10 minutes if that much! Thanx for the help. I will take a pic today and put it up so I can show you. Now I can go to work to make the money to replace the compressor! lol

Thanx again
GEORGETOWN :D
Old 07-07-2010, 08:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Update

This Thread Helped me get on the right path, but i had some trouble, First Off the guy at my AUTO ZONE wasn't too helpful, he gave me the wrong size belt 2 times, The Belt you need is PART# 795k6 and above and beyond that you need a Grooved Idler Pulley Part# 231051, and you can rent the Serpentine belt tool for 20 bucks and then return it, WELL WORTH IT
IN all its about 50 bucks and then you get 20 back when you return the Tool
I am including a Routing Diagram i made from Paint (its not to technical but it may help anyone with the same problem)
They do not make a Dummy part to put in the place of an A/C, This is a quick fix untill you can get the ac fixed but it all seems to be working Perfectly :)
Attached Thumbnails
ford-expedition-sepentine-routeing-belt.jpg  

Last edited by brynash; 07-07-2010 at 08:50 PM.
brynash is offline   Reply With Quote