Lost battery power while driving.. Now won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
Any of you have any ideas? I drove to work for a meeting tonite. Everything was fine. Got out 4 hours later, and my battery light was flickering after I started her up. On the way home with every time I hit the brake, or signaled, the panel lights got dimmer and dimmer. Now It's in my driveway, and won't start.. even after trying to boost it.
Any suggestions on something to check tomorrow in the daylight. I tightened the battery connections. It has power enough to run the interior lights when I open the door, but not enough to crank it. Just get the awful machine gun sound when I turn the ignition.

I could use a suggestion on where to start in the daylight.

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my shot in the dark would be your alternator went, then killed the battery.

get the alternator tested, and charge the battery..if its older just replace.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lane24

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
I'm hoping battery. Damn thing won't start, so I don't know how I am gonna go get the alternator tested. I'll try jumping it again in the morning I guess.

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thats why i have so many trucks, issue with one take another lol

your lights dimming is a pretty good give away that the alternator was not working.

OP
OP
Lane24

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
Well, I have a brand new Wrangler i can drive too, but I want to fix this one.... I assume I can take the alternator off and go get it tested...... Can they do that? Or does it have to be on the vehicle..

Last edited:

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ya, they can test them at most parts stores. Take it in and a few minutes later they can give you the verdict. I know mine is on alternator number 3 since its been in the family.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
mine just did this. i was getting 12 volts one night. lights were dim. these ford G3 alternators WILL drain your battery if they are bad. this is my 3rd alt. i have lifetime warranty on mine. it was $200+ for the alt but it was worth every penny. get a new one every time this one goes out. so screw it more lights!!!!

super easy to get out as well... kinda. the pain is the breaker bar on the idler arm. want some pics lemme know.

heres my step by step, if i forgot any lemme know.

1. disconnect battery.
2. move intake out of the way. i just removed the part that goes to the tb and bent it towards my driver side.
3. breaker bar or old torque wrench like i used on idler arm. its a pain to get it on so take your time with it. dont want to bend a fan blade.
4. remove belt on top of alt. i just let mine hang. (inspect belt while your at it. good time to replace it if needed.)
5. remove the top screw on the alt thats for power to the battery. 10mm if i remember.
6. remove top 3 screws and bracket holding the alt to the block. 10mm i think as well.
7. remove bottom 2 screws holding alt to block. 10mm.
8. remove the 2 connectors to the alt.
9. take alt out.
10. go get it tested. its free. (mine was so dead an error popped up that they have never seen before.)

putting new one in.
1. connect connectors to alt.
2. lightly screw on the bottom 2 bolts to get the alt in place.
3. lightly screw on the 3 bolts with bracket to get the alt in place.
4. tighten all screws. (idk torque specs but i also dont have a trq wrench that small.)
5. place cable from alt to battery back on. tighten.
6. push the idler arm towards the driver side and put new/old belt on. (this is a pain cause the belt always seem to slip off other pullys.)
7. take out breaker bar/torque wrench. (i found it easier to get a pair of pliers and wedge it in between the bar/wrench and idler arm and squeeze. it should slide out that way.)
8. place intake tube back on.
9. battery terminal back on.

you should be good to go. also i think all bolts are 10mm but i could be wrong. ford seems to like 10mm for its bolts. you need pics lemme know.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
new vs old
0928011502.jpg

the two bottom bolts.
0928011234c.jpg

how i barely got it on. (thats what she said.) but when i was trying to get it out it went all the way in. (again, thats what she said.)
0928011233a.jpg

you can see. no room to move when taking it off. thats why i good pair of pliers and squeezing it off will work better then trying to muscle it off.
0928011233.jpg

tb with intake moved out of the way.
0928011234.jpg

tsingson

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with the panel. It sounds like the alternator is gone.