98 Expedition Turbo build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

qcksnake

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is my first post here, I am generally a lightning and mustang guy but i am a ford guy at any rate. Wanting more room when towing and needing the power of a lightning, the only choice was an expedition. I am an Anti-Diesal guy so a diesal wasnt in the question. Sorry but i just prefer a gas burner, I cant stand all that knocking!

At any rate, i built a 97 last year and it succombed to the ford cruise control deal and burnt to the ground, and of course i had only liability on it. So i salvaged what i could from that build and I am finally back at it.

Here is a few pics of my progress and i will keep this thread updated through next week when i finish it up. The 98 i bought has rear heat/air so its going to make the downpipe awful fun!
I managed to salvage the built trans i did for the 97 and the bottom end and most of the pipes on the hot side.

Any questions please feel free to ask.

I started by moving the ABS( i just delete it on lighnings but the 4wd needs it for the GEM module) and doing the electric fans, mounting the intercooler(I am doing Air-Water).
parts001.jpg
parts002.jpg
parts003.jpg
parts005.jpg
parts007.jpg
parts008.jpg
parts009.jpg

In the pics you can see i also trimed the tops of the control arm mounts. A neccesity with the 4WD, Not neccesary with a 2wd.

OP
OP
Q

qcksnake

Full Access Members
Reaction score
parts010.jpg

parts021.jpg
Driver side hotside pipe with flexjoint
parts019.jpg
Pass side hotside with wastegate flange and turbo flange

The manifolds are a stock 4.6 truck manifold flipped on the pass side, the driver side is a factory mustang 4.6 2v driver side manifold. I cut the egr tube and welded it shut.
parts107.jpg
Here i am getting ready to raise the engine

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
:welcome:

Very cool! It will be awesome to have a turbo Expy here!!!

Subscribed... :)

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome. How much hp do you think you'll make?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
Q

qcksnake

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments!

I think it will be around 500RWHP on a mustang dyno give or take, Say maybe 600 Rear wheel on a dynojet or so. Depending mostly on the tuneup that I run, I might make a lower boost 87 octane tune for daily driving(i would expect around 440 Rwhp on that one or so).

I have good bottom end parts and i worked the heads, If this was a stock motor the 440 would be all i was comfortable with.

Of course on race gas and with more timing it could get wild>At any rate if i decide to have fun with an unsuspecting sports car it probably would suprise them or maybe even outrun em?

The turbo for this build will be a Borg Warner 67mm with a .91 Divided backside.
I will get some engine pics up tomorrow if I have time.

Here are the motor mounts complete, I had to slot the holes for the bolts and slide them up too, Just raising them makes the holes go inboard as well, so you have to slide em out, It makes putting the engine in a real JOY! I just used some bar stock I had laying around. On the last one i didnt figure this out until the motor was in the truck, so i just took some 3/8 plate and used the plasma to cut it out, lifted the engine with a jack and slid em under, Then i welded them to the frame and the mounts without taking anything off! This one looks a little cleaner though!

parts111.jpg

parts012.jpg
parts011.jpg
Put in some air bags as well for towing.

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nice work...welcome to the site...where in NC are you?