POP or Klunk like something is slipping when in 4 wheel drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rga808ak

Reaction score
I can't really tell if some of the other posts I've read are similar to this problem.

Alot of people are mentioning a "whining" and I just want anyone that reads this to know that's not the problem.

When in A4WD, going any speed, rapid accelleration (flooring it) will cause something to slip and make a pop, klunk, or really more like a muffled metal banging like it's going on in another room.

Worse when I put it in 4Low and make a turn. sounds like the freakin wheels are going to fall off.

I have pulled the cv's and checked them and regreased them. Checked the Hub assemblys to make sure it's not the bearings. The only thing I can think of is it being the transfer case, or front differential (front chunk).

This is what I did to make sure it wasn't the transmission, for those who think it is, because I went through this argument with someone else. I pulled the cv joints out and put the wheels back on. this way if the front wheel drive tried to engage it wouldn't matter because there would be no resistance there to make it slip. I would not advise doing this. Anyways, no popping sound when no cv's. So I had the CVs looked at just to make sure. they are ok.

Ok, so I know the noise is coming from the front and it has to do with the 4 wheel drive because i disabled it and no noise.

Does anyone have any clue of a solution for this without having to replace the whole chunk?

gns30

Reaction score
Sorry to bring this back, but I have the same problem and have checked the same thing with no luck. What turned out to be your problem, thanks!

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hey thats all good. OLD post but still good. thats normal for a transfer case. when in awd and you floor it the transfer case is trying to send power to the wheels with the most traction. so it will clank and sound like something wrong. so thats why most people are getting rid of their awd is cause you can floor it. and when in 4low and on road also normal. the inside tire needs to spin slower then the outside tire. well in a turn with 4low or even 4high the front and rear tires are spinning at the same time and speed so itll bang and sound like metal cause the tires arnt slipping. on dirt the dirt will move out of the way so the tire will slip and you wont notice it at bad. its almost like having a locking diff and turning at speed youll hear clanking and skipping but its normal. i just wouldnt recommend doing it all the time.

xcaliber1972

Reaction score
Check tires and see if there is the same amount of tread on all tires sided to side and front to back the diameter has to be within a quarter inch on all tires or it will throw off speed sensors and try to engage 4x4 at irregular time as in on accelleration and really gets loud and annoying if that doesnt work pull fuse 104 and see if the nois is still there and start back checking and tracing back to vacum lines and solenoids .