Location of fuel filter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've tried searching on google for the location of the fuel filter. Most all the places say something about driver side, inside rail, or something like that. But, I can't seem to find it.:nono:

I'm wanting to change it myself because one of the places wants to charge me 40-45 to change it, when the filter costs less than 20. Can I get one of the Fram fuel filters from Wal-mart? I haven't heard great things about their oil filters, so I'm not sure about their fuel filters. But, it seems it's the only brand anyone has. Although, I do remember seeing STP at Autozone...

Please help :) Going to change my oil in a couple hundred miles(this time with 5W-30), and I'd rather get everything done all at once:cheers:

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my 99 its located pretty much right under the drivers seat ( under the car) Cant really miss it

Spicoli

Reaction score
I have an 04 Expy, mine is on the left side of the truck attached to the fuel tank. There is a black cover on the side of the fuel tank, pull the cover off and the filter is right there. There are 3 quick release tabs, just press them in by hand and the filter pops off...easiest filter I have ever changed...I got my filter at Auto Zone for cheap....Hope this helps...

OP
OP
ELVATO

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the answers. I'll check again tomorrow :)

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Elvato, yours is attached to the fuel tank on the outside..... i knocked mine off once when i hit a cardboard box on the freeway..... still working on getting some kind of skid plate for the fuel tank....

Matt R

OP
OP
ELVATO

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally did it this past weekend. I got a little bit of gas on myself, but overall, it wasn't that hard to change. I think I had more of a problem removing the black cover.

Here's some pix to help future noobs like myself find it easily.

What the cover looks like:
fuelfiltercover.jpg

What the filter looks like in place and w/o the cover:
fuelfilter.jpg

wakenride

Reaction score
Awesome you are a terrific help ELVATO!

Finally did it this past weekend. I got a little bit of gas on myself, but overall, it wasn't that hard to change. I think I had more of a problem removing the black cover.

Here's some pix to help future noobs like myself find it easily.

What the cover looks like:
fuelfiltercover.jpg

What the filter looks like in place and w/o the cover:
fuelfilter.jpg

Been here 2 days and I solved both my problems on this site! Happy

13mwz

Reaction score
I just spent about 30 mins looking for that dang filter! Thanks for the picks, Id have never looked in there.