what brands of oil ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am interested in what oil brand you use and your results. What mileage intervals do you change oil ? your mileage and weather conditions and driving habits as well. So to start the ball rolling, I have a 2002 5.4 xlt with 99K miles.
Daily driver mostly city miles in Atlanta area. I have been a castroil user for years but am thinking of switching to motorcraft 5w20 which is a syn blend and retails for $11.50 for 5 quarts. I average 4000 miles between oil changes.
So far engine is strong and no burn off (consumption) between changes. any
opinions to share?

00XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Full syn Mobile One is what I use. I use my truck for mixed driving daily and some long hauls. I change every 3k miles because it takes me awhile the drive in that much since I'm not in it everyday. You can't go wrong using motorcraft and 4k isn't bad. My truck is alot more seasoned.

OP
OP
S

seeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Full syn Mobile One is what I use. I use my truck for mixed driving daily and some long hauls. I change every 3k miles because it takes me awhile the drive in that much since I'm not in it everyday. You can't go wrong using motorcraft and 4k isn't bad. My truck is alot more seasoned.
How many miles do you have on your truck? What weight oil do you use?

TxOutlaw

Reaction score
I have owned 10 Fords, in which ALL (except my diesels - Rotella for them) of them I have only used Motorcraft Synthetic Blend at the vehicles recommended weight with Motorcraft oil filter. Never had a lick of motor trouble!

Hope that helps!

OP
OP
S

seeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have owned 10 Fords, in which ALL (except my diesels - Rotella for them) of them I have only used Motorcraft Synthetic Blend at the vehicles recommended weight with Motorcraft oil filter. Never had a lick of motor trouble!

Hope that helps!

Yes that does help. Good strong recommendation. Thank you. Just curious,
what kind of mileage do you experience?

TxOutlaw

Reaction score
We were getting about 18 before I did A TON of maintanance stuff today like oil, fuel filter, air filter, throttle body cleaning, brakes and what not... We will see if that helps! LoL

00XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How many miles do you have on your truck? What weight oil do you use?

5w30 220000 this 5.4 is still kicking strong. I haven't checked the mpg in awhile same I barely drive it these days.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

seeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
5w30 220000 this 5.4 is still kicking strong. I haven't checked the mpg in awhile same I barely drive it these days.

Good stuff. Only a few years ago it seemed that only imports would do that well.

Last edited:

segiterrus

Reaction score
Trucks just a tad bit over 121k, I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance, runs about 26 for 5 quarts at Wal-Mart

OP
OP
S

seeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Trucks just a tad bit over 121k, I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance, runs about 26 for 5 quarts at Wal-Mart

One of the reasons i asked about oil was a different forum site was kicking around Mobil one. I read five pages of threads to come to the conclusion
several people just had some very strong negative feelings about Mobil one.
So with that i mind i am interested in your experience with the product. Do you feel that 5 dollars Plus a quart is worth the money? Love to hear your input.