4 Wheel drive noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flautiger

Reaction score
2003 4wd Expedition. With the vehicle in 2WD, the is a clatter, almost gear meshing sound. The dealer checked it and computer states no transmission problems. WHen the tranmission is put in AWD the noise go away. No noise in 4WDL and 4WDH. Dealer can not explain noise, just wants us to leave and they can check it out. Has anyone encountered this? Has 176000 miles

Reaction score
2003 4wd Expedition. With the vehicle in 2WD, the is a clatter, almost gear meshing sound. The dealer checked it and computer states no transmission problems. When the transmission is put in AWD the noise go away. No noise in 4WDL and 4WDH. Dealer can not explain noise, just wants us to leave and they can check it out. Has anyone encountered this? Has 176000 miles

OK I learned that it is caused by the IWE (integrated wheel end) solenoid there is a TSB out on it: 06-8-15 the part number is 6LZ9E441A they cost around $30 hope this helps!

dginn69

Reaction score
MileHighMenace, does that tsb cover expetions? It says 2004-2006 f-150 and Lincoln Mark lt. Changed the solenoid on my 04 still make the noise.

dginn69

Reaction score
Did you use the solenoid with the hood? Dealership said it was listed for expeditions but said I should use it.

Reaction score
Let me back track for a moment, this happened a few months back. I did get a new module (they only come hooded now) and it did not solve my problem. I rented a vacuum pump from Checker auto and tested my IWE (real simple test) and found it was my RF integrated wheel end was leaking vacuum and replaced it per the DIY here is the link. Very very easy job (2 hours) and problem solved.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/360269-iwes-removal-replacing.html

JP

dginn69

Reaction score
Thank you so much. I have seen that forum in my travels but was unsure if the f-150 was the same as the expedition. And I have the same issue as you, solenoid did'nt fix problem. Next step vacuum gage. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Get a vacuum PUMP with a gauge not just a gauge. Pull the hose/tube off the top of the IWE and pump out (create a vacuum) which will pull the IWE closed. Then if the vacuum bleeds off, you know you have a bad IWE(s)

dginn69

Reaction score
Thanks again I'll give that a try. I'm not sure how I feel about this 4x4 system, but what am I going to do? How hard was it to do the IWE? Does'nt seem too bad?