Another ATF Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Junglemaxx

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post here but I seem to be having a hard time tracking down an ATF leak. I've searched and searched but can't seem to find anybody having the same issue. I have a 2004 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L. When I first got it about 3 months ago I noticed after a week or so it was shifting a bit rougher then usual so I checked the fluid while at operating temp after a small drive and it was def in the add section, so I added to the full mark slowly and I've been checking it since. After a few more days I noticed a penny sized puddle of ATF (Yes I know its ATF Red color and fairly dark needed changed) under the pan directly below the driver side front of the pan. At the time I also noticed a large amount of fluid on the cross member under the transmission as well as back on the output shaft area. My initial inspection I noticed ATF around the pan as well as coming from above the transmission shift shaft. I was a wee confused as I didn't noticed anywhere above the transmission that AFT could be coming from above the driver side of the transmission (See Photo) above the shift shaft. I went ahead and did a service new gasket, filter, and ATF, Got the whole surface perfect and reinstalled pan torqued to 10ftpd. Its been shifting like an 04 ford since pretty smooth. I know the bulk head connector is a common fail point as well as the shift shaft seal but the bulk head is on the other side or am I mistaken? It also only ever leaks or seems to leak during high stress driving/towing. I've been babying her along just to work and back for a month and have seen almost no change to the ATF amount. checking it weekly. I noticed it was dripping ever so slightly after some interstate driving but nothing crazy, but I've been hauling a decently heavy trailer this past couple days a good 30 min to an hour drive and today when I checked it (Again, operating temp and shifting thru the gears) it was at the low mark. I'm planning on getting under again tomorrow and getting some more photos. does anybody have any idea where or what might be leaking from over the driver side of the transmission and why it would only leak during high stress or high temp driving. I'm planning on maybe taking it to AAMCO or a local transmission shop and seeing if they wouldn't mind giving me an extra set of eyes if I cant seem to get any ideas.

Attachments

• IMG_3114.jpg
    IMG_3114.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett