Cam Phaser issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hokie98

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Exp Max Limited with HD tow package, 77k miles, we bought used in fall 2020 (and no extended warranty). I had the oil changed about 2 weeks ago and right after that, I started getting this odd noise when starting. Hum...so a quick google search has lead me cam phaser issues, and yep, it sounds just like the videos I've seen. I don't have any check engine lights on, yet, but would like to get ahead of it. In light of having a recent oil change (at quick lube place....I know probably not the best choice), it could be coincidence this started right after that, but any chance it could maybe be related to the oil change? Since then, feels to me like it's idling rough. My local dealership's service dept is terrible, but that's likely who I'll take it to.... I saw a video about priming it with oil before starting - haven't tried that. I need to tow a horse trailer about 2 hours away and back in 2 weeks....I don't want to be left on the side of the road. Ugh. Suggestions from those of you that have had this issue, which sounds like plenty of you??

Jon2099

Reaction score
While it's impossible to diagnose your issue from a description on a computer screen, it's likely the phasers. If it happens immediately after startup and lasts only 3 seconds or so, then it is the phasers. If you hold the gas peddle down and crank for about 10 seconds before letting off the peddle and it doesn't make the sound then that helps confirm it. This is a known issue and since it only occurs at startup it fits the failure mode. As they get worse you may be able to hear a hot idle knock as well and possibly even see a trouble code. Since it just recently started, I wouldn't be afraid it will break down during a two-hour trip, although I'd still want to get it scheduled. That's what my crystal ball says based on my own experience. I towed our camper a couple of times while waiting to fix the phasers.

OP
OP
H

hokie98

Reaction score
Thanks Jon - Yep, it last about 2-3 seconds, almost sounds like something stuck in a fan, sort of a rattle sound, then it goes away. If it sets for a couple of hours, I'll get the noise when restarting, but not if it's only been sitting a hour or so (or less). I just tried the holding gas peddle down for about 10 secs and trying, and still got the noise, but maybe that was operator error. I'll try it again in a few hours, and meanwhile will call the dealership. Ugh. I appreciate your feedback. I just spent about $2k at the dealership in late Feb for a speed sensor failure that was really wheel bearing issue. Fun!

Michael D Morris

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Exp Max Limited with HD tow package, 77k miles, we bought used in fall 2020 (and no extended warranty). I had the oil changed about 2 weeks ago and right after that, I started getting this odd noise when starting. Hum...so a quick google search has lead me cam phaser issues, and yep, it sounds just like the videos I've seen. I don't have any check engine lights on, yet, but would like to get ahead of it. In light of having a recent oil change (at quick lube place....I know probably not the best choice), it could be coincidence this started right after that, but any chance it could maybe be related to the oil change? Since then, feels to me like it's idling rough. My local dealership's service dept is terrible, but that's likely who I'll take it to.... I saw a video about priming it with oil before starting - haven't tried that. I need to tow a horse trailer about 2 hours away and back in 2 weeks....I don't want to be left on the side of the road. Ugh. Suggestions from those of you that have had this issue, which sounds like plenty of you??
Change the oil to the recommended 5W30 full synthetic yourself or watch what the shop is putting in and then see if the noise goes away. Maybe you'll waste $60 but that a small price vs dealer costs.

OP
OP
H

hokie98

Reaction score
Thanks! I dropped it off at the dealership last night so they could have it to cold start it this AM. The advisor just called and said yes, it's a cam phaser issue. They have all the parts, so with 2-3 days and $3600, I should be good to go. Sigh. Probably should have bought that extended warranty they tried to sell me....

Bmac1955

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Be sure the cam phasers are the updated version. The prefix begins with M rather than H. While your at it perhaps have them replace the new Ford upgraded thermostat if it hasn't been done before hand. Just has a precautionary step.