Factory Rack & Roof Top Tents

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MJX24

Reaction score
I found some discussions on this but I'm hoping to get updated information specific to my model and tent! I ordered a Naturnest RTT and have since gone down a rabbit hole of confusion trying to figure out what to do about the rack. In some places, I'm reading that my factory rack is sufficient. I have a 2015 Ford Expedition EL and my factory rack has a dynamic weight limit of 200lbs. The Naturnest is supposedly 83inches by 51inches, 172lbs, and looks like about 6 inches high with the hard shell closed. Many of the cross bar systems that people are using for RTTs max out at 165lbs, so that would lead me to believe my rack is better due to the higher weight limit and not needing to install those flimsy towers that people need to use to add cross bars to their factory racks. But then, there's a large group of people saying to NEVER install a RTT on a factory rack. I was told on another forum that the best option would be a platform rack, but I'm having trouble finding one that would fit my vehicle. I asked the "experts" at Rack Attack and they said my factory rack is fine due to the type of tent that I have. I would really love to hear from those of you with roof top tents on your expeditions. What is your set up? How's it going? Have any of you used the factory rack, with or without modifications?

smahaffy

Reaction score
I used my factory cross members but found it very bouncy since those aluminum cross members dont take a lot of weight.

Im looking to get a new overlander full roof rack for my 2007 EL. The only one i found is made by Kingdom offroad in Arizona.