Just bought a 2010 EL limited. Shudder, help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnathan M

Reaction score
You can put it in cold.

On a transmission with a fill plug, you fill it up until fluid dribbles out of it. On those kinds, the fluid will run out if you do it with the engine off. You have to have the engine running so it's circulating fluid up around in the transmission. However, since you have that short (3" or however long it is) dipstick, you may be able to take it out with the engine off to add the fluid. Someone else may have tried that and may know the answer. You could always break it loose and start to unscrew it and see if fluid starts to come out. If it does, you can just finger tighten it back down and then start the engine.

This is just my opinion, but unless they have it overfilled already, you should be able to add 2 ounces without harming anything. However, if you're going to do another drain and fill in a month, you could always wait till then and put that in with your new fluid. Then you don't even have to worry about the question of whether it would be overfilling it.

vinbonifacio

Reaction score
I recently changed my ATF and filter. My groaning noise stopped. Hopefully yours might just need another flush or change.

Johnathan M

Reaction score
I would add that it doesn't have to be the Motorcraft brand, but it definitely needs to meet the LV specifications. I personally use Amsoil fluids where I can. If you put in your vehicle specifications into the Amsoil website, they will either recommend the appropriate fluid, or they will say they don't have a fluid that meets your vehicle specifications. They don't just recommend something to make a sale. I've used their Signature Series motor oil for years and have run multiple vehicles well over 300K miles. I use the Signature Series motor oil because it lets me go 25K miles between oil changes. I put a lot of miles on my vehicles, so that often ends up being once a year that I change my oil. Last time I changed the tranny fluid on my 2013 Expy (with 265K miles) I used the Amsoil transmission fluid recommended for my vehicle and I've been happy with the results.