Low oil pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Harry

Reaction score
Hello. This is for 4.6 2003 Eddie Bauer
After driving for a good 30 minutes I had a ring and it said LOW OIL PRESSURE the oil Guage would drop down then go back up. Can it be a sensor? Or the oil pump? Since I had this expy ( 6 years) when I had the key in ON position it would give that same warning. But nothing never happened till now. Please help and thank you

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After driving for a good 30 minutes I had a ring and it said LOW OIL PRESSURE the oil Guage would drop down then go back up. Can it be a sensor? Or the oil pump? Since I had this expy ( 6 years) when I had the key in ON position it would give that same warning. But nothing never happened till now. Please help and thank you

It sounds as though the oil pressure sensor is defective (common).

If the engine oil pressure was too low - you’d hear clattering from the engine.

It is also possible you have the incorrect engine oil filter and/or it is clogged (or your engine oil level is very low).

warbler

Reaction score
I'm having the exact same issue. I just got the oil pressure sensor replaced today and it's still doing it. Oil level is good, oil is clean, no sounds, no smells, everything is running fine. I have a feeling it's a wire that connects to the sensor, but I really have no idea. Just praying it's not the oil pump.

OP
OP
H

Harry

Reaction score
Yes that's what happened the day before it was clattering. But add oil. And it went away. But after driving a good 30 min. I received that message. I'll go get a oil change soon

OP
OP
H

Harry

Reaction score
I'm having the exact same issue. I just got the oil pressure sensor replaced today and it's still doing it. Oil level is good, oil is clean, no sounds, no smells, everything is running fine. I have a feeling it's a wire that connects to the sensor, but I really have no idea. Just praying it's not the oil pump.
Did you do an oil change and filter? I'm going to do that sometime this week

engineer1

Reaction score
If you continue to have a problem you may want to consider installing an economical mechanical pressure gauge to monitor it. This will tell you If really have low pressure, for any reason, or whether you have an electrical problem. When I rebuilt my EB at 187K I screwed my pressure tester into the fitting where the sensor goes and cranked it to be sure all was good prior to installation.

mhg1

Reaction score
You need to install a manual gauge and check the oil pressure. The light or gauge on the dash does NOT give you the pressure reading.
It only tells you the pressure is above 7 PSI. It's a fancy idiot light. If you are hearing clattering on start up, then there is a pressure problem.
Fix it quickly before you have a catastrophic failure.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani