Rear driver cv shaft and seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4g6663Turbo

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals. I have a 2007 4x4 expedition EB with IRS and an open diff.
I needed to replace the rear driver side cv shaft. When I pulled the old one I decided I may as well change the seals too. Found videos and how to’s that said to “use a pry bar” or “get in behind it with a chisel” well all that did was mess up the old seal and it’s still stuck solid. After looking at it for hours I am starting to think it’s pressed in? Does that mean I am now going to have to drop the rear diff to bring in and get the old seals pressed out and new pressed in? Or is it just a Minnesota vehicle and it’s just rusted in and I need to pry harder? Photos will show vehicle tag, old stuck in seal, and what new seal looks like. Thanks a bunch

Attachments

• IMG_1674.jpeg
    IMG_1674.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1678.jpeg
    IMG_1678.jpeg
    98.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1679.jpeg
    IMG_1679.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1673.jpeg
    IMG_1673.jpeg
    285.4 KB · Views: 3

Dustin Gebhardt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's pretty common to have to beat the bejezus out of those seals to remove them. I typically use a flat screwdriver under the lip of the seal, pounding on it until the seal changes from an "O" to a "C". Then a pair of pliers will pull it out. Insertion of the new seal is a much more delicate matter. Gentle tapping until it is evenly and slowly inserted.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire