Replaced Factory Shocks and Struts with Bilstien 5100s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was really hoping this upgrade would be strait forward and on paper it is. This job was anything but easy, I can blame western PA winters for my headaches.

Started with the rears and the first big hurdle encountered was the seized on lower shock bolts that wouldn’t come out of the lower arm. Encountered this issue on both sides and had to use a 20 ton press to work the old bolts out. Second rear issue encountered was that the upper shock tower bolt that holds the top shock mount onto the shock, would not come off. This was an issue for both sides. Had to wire wheel clean the threads and use a small socket through the larger socket to break it free. This was rectified on the fronts by using the air tools that worked to take the nuts off without issue.

The fronts were difficult with getting the shock to mounts on with the springs compressed, used heavy duty large C-clamp to push the top on enough to get the nut started. Be sure to not what directing the shock mount is angled when lining up the spring perch!!!! Had to re clamp the spring to orient it correctly to install the bolts through the lower A-arm. Also instead of taking off the sway bar links just drop it from the mounts and let it hang down, this giver you enough play to drop the arm and pull the spring out.

All in all this took myself and another family member about 10 hours to complete. Time also included replacing pads and rotors on all four corners.

During this experience I found that both rear shocks were blown… I suspected as much but because it wasn’t dripping out and down the shock body, the dealer fought me on this last year. Oil was clearly visible coming out around the shaft once they were removed.

New 17 method rims wrapped in Cooper AT3 XLT 285/75r17 tires go on this Friday and then it’s getting an alignment. Shocks were set on the middle rings all around to keep a close to factory rake and add a small amount of lift.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Seized nuts and bolts can turn a straightforward (wouldn’t necessarily call it simple) job from a few hours to a whole day.

Warranty would have just put the same shocks back on, and likely leaking just like the original.

I didn’t have an issue with the rears, just trying to get the lower shock bolt up to torque. Haven’t done the front, yet, have the parts sitting around for about 8 months, now.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, I did this on my 2019 and it was super easy. We use salt on the roads here too but from what I see, things on the east coast rust up WAY worse. You really should look into having your stuff fluid filmed, I know it is a recurring cost but it really works.

Anyway, wish I still had the bilsteins, they handle trailers WAY better than the CCD shocks.

OP
OP
apex96

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Seized nuts and bolts can turn a straightforward (wouldn’t necessarily call it simple) job from a few hours to a whole day.

Warranty would have just put the same shocks back on, and likely leaking just like the original.

I didn’t have an issue with the rears, just trying to get the lower shock bolt up to torque. Haven’t done the front, yet, have the parts sitting around for about 8 months, now.
I honestly found the fronts to be a little easier to take apart and put back together.

OP
OP
apex96

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, I did this on my 2019 and it was super easy. We use salt on the roads here too but from what I see, things on the east coast rust up WAY worse. You really should look into having your stuff fluid filmed, I know it is a recurring cost but it really works.

Anyway, wish I still had the bilsteins, they handle trailers WAY better than the CCD shocks.
I saw a couple areas I want to hit with a wire wheel and then apply rust inhibitor too, but it honestly wasn’t super bad on the frame. Was really only in areas that water could pool and stay that had more corrosion (top of the shock body) the actual frame is in relatively good condition.