Sync 4A WiFi issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robert Bushnell

Reaction score
Hey fellow Expedition..ers,

Wanted to ask all those with the 15inch Sync 4A or anyone who may have some advice on this really a concern I have on WiFi.

So I have a 23 Timberline, has the Sync 4A with the 15inch screen and I’ve noticed that the WiFi, #1 doesn’t seem to like to auto connect to the WiFi when near..at least sometimes it does but most often it doesn’t but 2 and perhaps more concerning.. it only stays connected for like.. maybe 3-4 minutes? Then I get the WiFi available icon and the “connected to WiFi” icon is gone.. if I wait a long time it sometimes reconnects but I usually get frustrated by that point and try reconnecting.

When I connect it manually the first time it connects fine. Says it was successful, but I have a firewall on my network that is Layer 3 so it’s handling the routing and it shows ZERO activity from the truck when it connects. Like as if it’s not doing anything, not going to any sites or calling out to anything..

I’ve master reset sync, I’ve unplugged the truck from battery and let it sit for about 4 hours, for more than just the WiFi, I also haven’t gotten an update since purchase back in Sept..

And I’ve even used my phone hotspot that while in the truck with SYNC telling me the signal is “Excellent”

I’ve also changed my entire networks addressing because I found one guy say after he changed his to be ***.***.1.*** his WiFi worked..

The truck is brand new sooo I’m hesitant to think it’s faulty but.. maybe it is??

Idk… any thoughts or advice from cyber world?
I had the same problem until Ford tech updated to 230202 rev 956, Wifi stays connected now. I'm still having the mini gauge problem were I replace boost with Tranny Temp, stays that way until I shut the vehicle off, next start up it shows boost again, I reported to Ford a couple of times, hope they will fix it.

OP
OP
E

ExpyEverest

Reaction score
Sooo finally got my first update today! Though this happened while I had Fords OTA and engineering team looking at my issues, particularly over my WiFi issues.

I’m happy to report that now that I got this update. Which is labeled as 4.2.1 and only says in release notes that its changes are to “open the door for future updates to go through” I finally am seeing traffic over WiFi AND it stayed connected for a SUPER long time. Finally!!

Hopefully this update does what it says which it looks like it did and I start getting all the updates I’m behind on.

Based on what I’ve learned going through this mess, it could have been an update to the gateway module. Since that module IS the door updates have to go through.

Anyways.. will keep updated.

Flathead40

Reaction score
Sooo finally got my first update today! Though this happened while I had Fords OTA and engineering team looking at my issues, particularly over my WiFi issues.

I’m happy to report that now that I got this update. Which is labeled as 4.2.1 and only says in release notes that its changes are to “open the door for future updates to go through” I finally am seeing traffic over WiFi AND it stayed connected for a SUPER long time. Finally!!

Hopefully this update does what it says which it looks like it did and I start getting all the updates I’m behind on.

Based on what I’ve learned going through this mess, it could have been an update to the gateway module. Since that module IS the door updates have to go through.

Anyways.. will keep updated.
Got the 4.2.1 update on Monday. Seems like it now automatically connects to the WiFi when at home. Hope to see the 4.2.2 update with the UI changes soon. But was glad to see an actual OTA come through and apply successfully so know that the vehicle can receive them. Through some research seems like Ford has had issues on their end with the OTA process and is why some vehicles have not received them even when they’ve been out for months. And you are correct this was an update to the gateway module which is the door to the update kingdom.

jjscsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got the same update a few days ago. A little weird. Its an update to allow you to get updates. As most of you know, i have been very upset about not getting the Synch 4 update that actually fixes glitches and improves functions on the screen. Hopefully this new update will get me the “real” update soon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
the_plugger