03 Electric brakes????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fraziarwp

Reaction score
Need some info from any towing gurus out there. I have a class III hitch and a 7 point and 4 point socket. Checking voltage on the 7 point, gives me weird readings that don't agree with the chart on the cover. But I also assume that it is wired for a controller. i just need to get one.

I can't see anything that would be a transmission cooler. So, I am assuming that it is not set up for electric brakes or heavy towing.

My first question is can someone identify this connector under the dash? The cable coming off it is wrapped in with some inline fuses and other wires under the dash.

And can someone recommend a controller for electric brakes.

Mid summer i will be towing a 16 foot trailer across country. I would like to get electric brakes and a cooler by then.

Thanks,

Attachments

• DSCF1200.jpg
    DSCF1200.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 226

hautevue

Reaction score
Brake controller

Connector: doesn't look familiar. If you bought the Expy used, then it may be a connector for a brake controller.

Many of the Expys have an empty connector in the major wiring harness behind the dash board. Crawl down on the floor with your flashlight and look up and slightly to the right of the steering column. If you find a factory installed empty connector, that's for your brake controller.

Brake controller: I tow a 6000# Keystone Outback Travel Trailer (TT) with my '08 Expy EB. I bought (thru the I'net) a Prodigy P3 brake controller. I mounted it on the slope of the dash just about where your connector is mounted. It's to the right of my right leg, and the Prodigy model does not have to be mounted horizontally. They also sell a short harness that has the Prodigy connector on one end, and the Ford connector on the other. For $12 I bought the cable so I didn't have to screw around wiring up a couple of connectors that I'd have to buy anyway.

The Prodigy has a miniature pendulum inside, and when you hit the brakes, the pendulum signals the controller that you're slowing down. The degree of trailer brake application is a function of how hard your hit the brakes, and therefore how far forward the little pendulum moves. Clever design, especially because the Prodigy does not have to be mounted horizontally or nearly so. There is no sensible place to put a horizontal mounted brake controller in the front of the Expy unless you screw it down to your console, and that looks awful.

The Prodigy then sends voltage to the TT electric brakes (through your 7 pin TT connector at the rear) and the voltage is in proportion to how hard the TT needs to be braked to be in synch with the Expy.

There are several other brake controllers on the market. My only advice is to get a proportional controller (voltage to the TT brakes is proportional to the slow-down of the Expy) and don't go "cheap." Expect to spend $120 or so for a good one. Remember that if the brake controller fails, your next view of your trailer will be as it slides sideways past you, having ripped itself off the hitch ball, and other bad things!

Good luck and keep us informed of your progress!

OP
OP
fraziarwp

fraziarwp

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. Just ordered a Prodigy 3. Found the brake connector beside the OBD connector.

Based on my research, it looks like that connector under the steering column is a security system. The original owner must have removed the controller.

I likely will not permanently mount the brake controller. Probably just set it by the ashtray. Will only use it about twice a year.