2000 4.6L ac hoses and condenser replacement - what a PITA!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Petesexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First, both condenser bolts broke off. fixed it by screwing condenser holders into the radiator support (on top). Now, I found out that to remove the manifold, the whole compressor needs to be unbolted. Not a problem, except I cannot get to the upper bolt. Simply not enough space for a ratchet, and not enough torque for a small (10 mm) wrench, which keeps sliding off. This is the third day of work on this "1.5 hr" job...

UPDATE - Finished! flat 10 mm wrench loosened the upper compressor bolts. The compressor moved forward just enough to allow me to put a small ratchet wrench on the manifold bolt. Once that was done, I had to cut up the old hose, because someone routed rubber snorkel hose between two AC hoses, so that manifold could not be removed. Still, cannot attach the aluminum cylinder on the high pressure hose located directly above the AC compressor. It has an "L" shaped tab that supposed to somehow slide in (pointing toward the rear of the engine), but the tab prevents the whole cylinder from being securely bolted on to the engine (just below the valve cover). What am I missing?

UPDATE 2 - brought the car back to get it recharged. 4 ring gaskets failed. Apparently, SANTECH INDUSTRIES Santech MT2529 A/C System O-Ring and Gasket Kit is NOT appropriate for 2000 Ford Expedition. Unfortunately, these failed one by one, not at once, so they had to recharge/evacuate twice and replace 4 gaskets. Total bill - $989. That's after 3 afternoons spent replacing the hoses. I give up.

Last edited:

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can't get to it with the tire removed and the wheel turned all the way to the right ? Do you have the ratchet extensions ?

OP
OP
P

Petesexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can't get to it with the tire removed and the wheel turned all the way to the right ? Do you have the ratchet extensions ?
There is not enough space between the bolt and the frame to fit ratchet. Had to use a small flat 10 mm wrench. It took 20 minutes to get that bolt.