2000 Eddie Bauer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gerke74

Reaction score
I leve a 2000 Eddie Bauer Ford Expedition. It has the Triton 5.4. I have replaced all 4 O2 sensors, and the charge air temperature sensor. Reset the computer, and it drove great for 5 hours. Now runs rough does not want to start and smell raw fuel. It was getting 19mpg, now getting 9. Ran diagnostic, came up lean bank 1 , lean bank 2, O2 lean bank 1, sensor 2, O2 lean bank 2, sensor 2, air temp sensor high input.... What the heck is going on? Is there another air temp sensor for the engine?

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
get the codes read check for vacuum leaks make sure you got all the o2 sensors connectors properly connected or if you bent any pins when reconnecting

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You got 19 mpg? I've got a 2000 4wd that gets 9-12 mpg. Sounds like you've got a bad new sensor. Did you keep the old ones? Might have to sub in the o2 sensors 1 at a time till you get problem fixed. Check all pins, wires, when you get apart. Like I've always told friends over the years I'd rather screw up my car or truck 3 times than pay someone to screw it up once. It's only your free time. One last thing make sure the o2 sensors are right for your motor. If you can return them pay the diff and get Ford units, they almost always work better than aftermarket parts.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since it's throwing codes for all four sensors I'm going to say that those likely aren't the culprit. I'm going to say the IAT sensor is bad. If it's not reading the correct air temp it can throw all kinds of things off. Like how much timing the ECU can add for the air temp. If you still have your old one I'd throw it in and see what happens.

OP
OP
G

gerke74

Reaction score
I have checked all four O2 sensor plugs, and they are plugged in tight. I will try putting the old charge air temp sensor back in. I have found that if I place a finger over the sensor in the air box it straightens out... What is the sensor in the air box? The charge air sensor is in the tube that connects the air box to the intake.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
there are two sensors in the intake the Mass airflow sensor and the Intake air temp sensor

can you take a picture of what you are referring to

The Intake Air Temp Sensor will have a TWO WIRE CONNECTOR
The Mass Air Flow Sensor will have a FOUR WIRE CONNECTOR

Attachments

• Ita sensor 1.gif
    Ita sensor 1.gif
    10.6 KB · Views: 116
  • ITA sensor.gif
    ITA sensor.gif
    8 KB · Views: 98
  • maf sensor.gif
    maf sensor.gif
    12.5 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gerke74

Reaction score
The one I replaced is the push in grommet type from the first picture. It was located in the tube between the air filter box, and the intake.

OP
OP
G

gerke74

Reaction score
The exact codes are as fallows.
PO 171
System lean to bank 1
PO 156
O2 circuit bank 2, sensor 2
P1131
Lack of HO2s11
Switches/sensor indicates lean.
P1151
Lack of HO2S11
Switches/sensor indicates lean.
PO136
O2 circuit bank 1, sensor 2
PO174
System lean bank 2
PO113
Intake temp sensor 1 circuit high input.

This all started when the temp return here in Wyoming dropped.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
P0113 - Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Circuit High Input

Indicates the sensor signal is greater than Self-Test maximum. The IAT sensor maximum is 4.6 volts or -50°C (-46°F).

Open circuit in harness
Sensor signal short to power
Damaged sensor
Improper harness connection
Damaged PCM

P0136 - HO2S Sensor Circuit Malfunction (HO2S-12)

The downstream HO2S sensor(s) are continuously checked for maximum and minimum voltages. The test fails when the voltages fail to meet the calibrated limits. Pinched, shorted, and corroded wiring and pins.

Crossed sensor wires.
Exhaust leaks.
Contaminated or damaged sensor.

P0156 - HO2S Sensor Circuit Malfunction (HO2S-22) See DTC P0136

P0171 - System to Lean (Bank 1)

The Adaptive Fuel Strategy continuously monitors fuel delivery hardware. The test fails when the adaptive fuel tables reach a rich calibrated limit.

For lean and rich DTCs:
Fuel system
Excessive fuel pressure.
Leaking/contaminated fuel injectors.
Leaking fuel pressure regulator.
Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel.
Vapor recovery system.
Induction system:
Air leaks after the MAF.
Vacuum Leaks.
PCV system.
Improperly seated engine oil dipstick.
EGR system:
Leaking gasket.
Stuck EGR valve.
Leaking diaphragm or EVR.
Base Engine:
Oil overfill.
Cam timing.
Cylinder compression.
Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2Ss.

P0174 - System to Lean (Bank 2)

The Adaptive Fuel Strategy continuously monitors the fuel delivery hardware. The test fails when the adaptive fuel tables reach a rich calibrated limit.

See Possible Causes for DTC P0171.

P1131 - Lack of HO2S-11 Switch, Sensor Indicates Lean

A HEGO sensor indicating lean at the end of a test is trying to correct for an over-rich condition. The test fails when the fuel control system no longer detects switching for a calibrated amount of time.

See Possible Causes for DTC P1130

P1151 - Lack of HO2S-21 Switch, Sensor Indicates Lean

A HEGO sensor indicating lean at the end of a test is trying to correct for an over-rich condition. The test fails when fuel control system no longer detects switching for a calibrated amount of time.

See Possible Causes for DTC P1130

P1130 - Lack of HO2S-11 Switch, Fuel Trim at Limit

The HEGO Sensor is monitored for switching. The test fails when the HO2S fails to switch due to circuit or fuel at or exceeding a calibrated limit.

Electrical:
Short to VPWR in harness or HO2S
Water in harness connector
Open/Shorted HO2S circuit
Corrosion or poor mating terminals and wiring
Damaged HO2S
Damaged PCM

Fuel System:
Excessive fuel pressure
Leaking/contaminated fuel injectors
Leaking fuel pressure regulator
Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel
Vapor recovery system

Induction System:
Air leaks after the MAF
Vacuum Leaks
PCV system
Improperly seated engine oil dipstick

EGR System:
Leaking gasket
Stuck EGR valve
Leaking diaphragm or EVR

Base Engine:
Oil overfill
Cam timing
Cylinder compression
Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2S(s)