2003 passenger side front window problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

konny

Reaction score
Ok. I've searched but can't find this. Got this car used. Window Goes down fine but goes up really slow. The switch on the door only lowers it but won't try to raise it, I'm thinking it burnt out. I lubed the rails on either side and no help. Took the panel off and the glass seems to be set in the clips fine. After raising it and lowering a dozen times I notice the motor is too hot to touch. I notice that when it's all the way done and I start raising it up there is a big click that happens at the same spot when going up. Any ideas? Thx.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So 2 things there. It sounds like the window regulator, the assembly that the window bolts to and raises/lowers it, is hitting on something while it's going up. You'll have to pull the interior panel off again to find that. If this is the case something is likely out of place if there's no damage to door.

The thing is the switch. 99% chance it's just got some carbon build up. You can replace it and that will resolve it, but the truth is you can just scrape the carbon off the contact points inside the switch and it'll be good as new. Every time you hit a switch like for the locks or windows it arcs and creates a tiny bit of carbon. It's also possible that the plastic pins that actually push on the contacts are worn some, but with that mileage it's not too likely. I've cleaned my switches multiple times over the last 20yrs, and every other vehicle we've had with power windows. To disassemble the switch takes a couple flat head jewelers screwdrivers and some patience the first time. Slightly easier with 2 people.

LoneStarLoner

Reaction score
Definitely check the regulator. Kept hearing a popping noise on my 03 and it wound up being broken and would struggle to raise properly.

Cleaning works well. I’ve cleaned mine several times by using some electronic contact cleaner and it brings them back to life. Works great for steering wheel controls that you think might have gone out as well. If you do have to replace a switch, the aftermarket Dorman brand actually worked surprisingly well and looks almost identical to stock.