2004 5.4L - Front Brake Caliper Banjo Bolt Torque?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Anyone have a workshop manual for the 2004 5.4L? Need to know the torque spec for the front brake caliper banjo bolts. Please? And thank you!

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The banjo bolt on the brake hose to caliper is torqued to 35Nm or 26 ft lbs .

upload_2018-7-15_10-50-25.png

The caliper anchor bolts are torqued to 148 ft lbs.

upload_2018-7-15_10-52-6.png

-Mike

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for that Mike.

I torqued the banjo bolts to 26 ft-lb and they leaked. Went to 36 ft-lb and they still leaked. Ended up switching to thinner washers and using the ratchet to tighten the bejesus out of them. Not leaking so far... This was with new calipers and new brake hoses.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You were using NEW copper crush washers, and they leaked at 26 ft lbs of torque ? That's weird. It doesn't take that much torque to get a good seal on them, I don't know what the issue might be with yours. I wonder if the brake hose has been worked on before and somebody also re-used old washers and over-torqued the crap out of the banjo bolt and distorted it? Who knows. Good luck with it.

-Mike

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Brake lines don't leak when all is good. Hell I've reused copper washers and they didn't leak. You've got either a warped caliper hose mount, or the line itself is a bad fit. Some of the made in China/India stuff is real trash. Rather than over torque the bolt, bad idea! I'd replace both hose and caliper with a quality piece, like a reman Ford unit, or Napa or Bendix brand. I've pulled a lot of calipers and never had one do like yours. These vehicles are too heavy to not have 100 percent brakes.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

danzaokid

Reaction score
I too have not had leaks with Banjo bolts torqued to 26 ft lbs, or even 20 lbs. I'd not go over 50 ft lbs on those shallow threads. For others finding this post - here is my opinion - There are 2 copper washers, one on each side of the banjo bolt. And they are not "crush washers" in the normal sense. They are ridged washers designed to conform to the ridges of the banjo bolt. Reusing them is often ok if the ridges line up. I suspect maybe only 1 washer was accidentally used and if so I can see why it would leak at 26 ft lbs.