2004 Power seat won't lower

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frenchqtrchef

Reaction score
I searched the forums for answers before posting this and found one thread about a power seat issue, but mine is a bit different.

I got into the truck this morning and pushed the memory button like I always do. The seat made a very loud vibration, much louder than usual (almost sounded like metal against metal) and for the first couple of seconds it didn't move. Then it began to move forward and into place, except the front of the seat did not lower like it was supposed to. I tried using the up/down lever to lower the seat. It makes the loud vibrating sound every time, and the seat will move up but not down. It moves down to the point where it began, but it won't lower any further. Every other part of the seat is moving into the correct memory position, but the front of the seat doesn't lower at all with the memory button, and the entire seat won't lower with the up/down lever. It's almost as if there is something under the seat keeping it from doing so, but I checked under the seat and found an air freshener disk my husband had put in a long time ago; took that out and tried again, but the seat continues to do the same thing. I also noticed under the left side of the seat that there are several very tiny pieces of foam, as if something is rubbing against a pad and tearing it up.

So clearly there is power to the motor, but something is not catching, I assume. Any ideas on how to fix and/or what exactly might need to be repaired/replaced?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My guess is the track / gear set is shot. Take the seat out and take the mechanism apart to see what happened.
Once fixed, move the seat into position without anybody sitting in it. That way there is less weight to move.