2004 XLT - Just dies while driving or idle - No Codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roybus14

Reaction score
My Big Gurl has 225k miles. Over past two years have had following done:

- New Catalytic Converter
- New MAF sensor and Air filter
- New Fuel pump
- New fuel filter - Motorcraft
- New EGR sensor - Motorcraft
- New battery
- New plugs and coils - Motorcraft
- Throttle body cleaned

And for some reason, she just dies while driving or sitting idle. No codes appear on code reader. The first light that comes on is the battery light followed by the service engine soon and check gauges.

Then I have to let it sit for 10–15 minutes and she will start up again. The cutting out happens at any time.

The shop will took it took said fuel pump pressure was fine and they got no codes either. They said it didn’t cut out on them when they test drove it and suggested bad gas.

At a lost right now. Don’t want to pit her down just yet but also don’t want to keep pouring money into her either.

Any suggestions????

SafariGoneWrong

Reaction score
My big boy is still on jack stands waiting for me to hit the ABS valve issue but in the meantime I've acquired a 2017 Kia Soul and have read multiple owners in the forums complaining of similar symptoms. More than one has replaced the crankshaft position sensor with success. The CKP doesn't seem to be a typical fault item on Ford 5.4s and I don't know if losing its signal throws a code, even though I should know as I unplug it to prime the oil pump after multiple pump replacements. You didn't mention replacing the fuse box/fuel pump relay and with an '04 it seems that's something to check out. @Hamfisted has a lot of experience with this and if you check out the Sticky Threads you'll see some really good work and explanations. https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/another-fuse-box-replacement.46781/

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The fuel pump relay is really good thought if it's a 2003/4 as I believe the 2005/6 wasn't the same. Anyway, if it's a 2003/4 there's a good chance you can smell it, I sure could in mine both times. Pull the passenger front kick panel and you may very well notice a burnt smell in the central junction box(fuse panel). I had no codes with my failed fuel pump relay, it just died.

Abrikot

Reaction score
I bought a expy EB with 192, its now 206. Ever since the beginning something was off, but I got it for a steal, so I was not worried that I couldn't eventully find out the issues. After doing the same list you did, I finally got to the back 4 plugs/boots etc. They were origional and gaps bigger than I could imagine. Whoever had it before me changed the easy to get front plugs (3 were mismatched) but never the back, but since my codes didn't lead me there I told myself not to do the little extra work. Well I got to them last weekend and replaced all 8 with new plugs and boots and since then the burping, rough idle at times dies, lose of power randomly on hwy with Battery light all went away.

I had a feeling but toldmyself nahh, should of trusted my gut.

If you havn't checked the plugs, I would suggest.

OP
OP
R

roybus14

Reaction score
Thanks all for feedback.

Latest…. Added Heet to gas and engine conditioner to the oil.

Took it out on highway today. Cut out right as I was merging onto highway. Waited 5 minutes and she cranked right up.

Did notice that she does not have power like she used to. Pressed down on gas and she barely moved to give me more power. Floored it one time and it hesitated and then rpms jumped up to 3500 rpms. Did that several times with same results.

The lack of power is really interesting. Will check the panel and also considering swapping out the alternator…

Any thoughts on lack of power??? Thanks!!

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When my fuel pump relay was failing I would get low engine power or intermittent power and sometimes it died and after a few minutes it would restart. Once the relay cooled down it would make good contact and send power to the fuel pump for a varying length of time. Sometimes I had no noticeable issues. Course this only lasted a handful of days before I replaced the relay. Later I had to replace the entire central junction box(fuse panel) since I screwed up and used plumbing flux instead of electrical flux. The plumbing flux is acidic and after several weeks ate the system board.

Low fuel pressure can result in lower engine power, an engine that dies, won't start, barely runs etc.. Intermittent fuel pressure from a relay or pump that is just barely working can result in quick jumps in rpm.

There may be other causes as well, but checking the fuel pressure with a fuel pressure gauge would be a good start, you should have 45-55psi, along with checking the fuel pump relay.

Abrikot

Reaction score
Thanks all for feedback.

Latest…. Added Heet to gas and engine conditioner to the oil.

Took it out on highway today. Cut out right as I was merging onto highway. Waited 5 minutes and she cranked right up.

Did notice that she does not have power like she used to. Pressed down on gas and she barely moved to give me more power. Floored it one time and it hesitated and then rpms jumped up to 3500 rpms. Did that several times with same results.

The lack of power is really interesting. Will check the panel and also considering swapping out the alternator…

Any thoughts on lack of power??? Thanks!!
I would say check the plugs, sound like my exact issue.