2016 EL intermittent rear AC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fordyak

Reaction score
2016 Expedition EL has rear intermittent operation. I’ve seen this posted previously but no answers. When it works it’s great, it just stops working all of sudden and the a day later will start working. Suggestions?

S20Workstation4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What part of the unit stops working?
Is there any air coming out at all? Is air coming out but it isn't cool?

If the blower just randomly stops and no air is coming out, then it comes back, it is most likely the blower going bad. The copper brushes in there get dirty and worn out; a way you can test this is that when it goes out, hit the back of the blower with a screwdriver or something. You can access the blower by popping off the top cover on the quarter panel cover.

If the air coming out is intermittently cool, first is to check the temperature of the A/C Lines went the air is not cool. You want the low pressure line to be freezing cold, while the high pressure side to be warm/hot to touch. If you look under the bumper, above the tailpipe, you will see the part of the A/C lines that go into the rear unit.,
If the lines aren't the right temp, then you might have a blockage in the A/C System. Then it would be time to check A/C pressures...
If the lines are the right temp, then you might have a problem with your temperature actuator. When the air is warm but and the rear is set to be on cool, have someone put a screwdriver on the actuator, and have them put their ear up to the back of the screwdriver (should be quite a long screwdriver), and then you would swap between heat and A/C on the panel for the rear unit. If the actuator doesn't move or intermittently moves, then it should be replaced.

Hope this helps,
- Joe

OP
OP
F

Fordyak

Reaction score
When it works it’s nice and cold. The front blower has a bad connection under right dash as I can wiggle the harness and it will start and stop. I wondered if the rear blower was wired to the same harness I can’t find a wiring diagram. Is the rear blower on the passenger side? Many thanks.

S20Workstation4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, the rear blower is on the passenger side. It is integrated right into the rear unit, but it can be removed from the rear unit.
I'm not sure, but I think the rear HVAC unit (including blower), is on a completely different circuit. It is a smaller unit in general, and the rear blower requires less power.
However, if you have automatic blower control for both the front and rear units, then there is a possibility that both blowers can be dual-connected via a circuit....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
starshockey