2016 front AC blower motor only runs on high

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BogueSound

Reaction score
The local dealership did the recalls to my master cylinder and front blower motor. On the master cylinder they didn't get something about the install correctly and I would have to jam on the brakes to get cruise to disengage. The service rep I talked to grumbled about the part that was broken wasn't part of the recall but with it being so obviously not working immediately after their job, they are fixing that.

And then about a month after the front blower motor now only runs on high. They are claiming it is the AC control module and want $1150 to fix that. I've always gotten scammy vibes from them but it looks like most of the threads here with blower motor resistor issues are related to slow or intermittent motors so perhaps it is just a coincidence...after all, this thing is a giant steaming turd and will without question be the last Ford that I or anyone in my lineage ever owns.

If it is the control module, I think it's just popping the front controls off and unplugging old and plugging in new?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The local dealership did the recalls to my master cylinder and front blower motor. On the master cylinder they didn't get something about the install correctly and I would have to jam on the brakes to get cruise to disengage. The service rep I talked to grumbled about the part that was broken wasn't part of the recall but with it being so obviously not working immediately after their job, they are fixing that.

And then about a month after the front blower motor now only runs on high. They are claiming it is the AC control module and want $1150 to fix that. I've always gotten scammy vibes from them but it looks like most of the threads here with blower motor resistor issues are related to slow or intermittent motors so perhaps it is just a coincidence...after all, this thing is a giant steaming turd and will without question be the last Ford that I or anyone in my lineage ever owns.

If it is the control module, I think it's just popping the front controls off and unplugging old and plugging in new?

There are lots of threads and posts on this forum about this issue. Do a search and some reading.

Replace the blower motor control, which is mounted on the HVAC case - not on the dash. Also replace the wiring connecter, as there is a TSB issued by Ford regarding the connector.

I have posted several times a link to a YouTube video on how to replace them. It is easy to replace and the cost of $1,150 is absurd.

Edit: Information in post #2: https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/2017-recall.55502/#post-506636

Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess I should have been a little clearer. They are saying it is the HVAC control module, which I believe would be this https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-control_fl1z-19980-a.html

I haven't talked to them yet to ask that troubleshooting they took to claim this is it. Everything else works about the AC, can change vent location, AC on/off, heat, just can't change speed.

I did misunderstand what you posted. I do not know if the control part your referenced is a plug-and-play item.

Even if you pay list price for the part - the dealership is charging you a lot of labor to remove a dash bezel, and change the part.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
More likely they're talking about the blower motor control module, which is their new fancy term for the speed resistor. It's located behind the glove box. Remove the glove box and inspect it, and the harness it's plugged into. This plug is a common failure point and easily replaced. Look for burned or melted plastic in the plug. Dorman makes a repair kit that includes a new "speed control module" and plug.

2016 Expedition Blower Speed Control Module at Rock Auto