2018 expedition 10 speed transmission shift points causing engine to lug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marcus4

Reaction score
We have a 2018 limited that was having issues with hard shifting and clunking which seems to be a common issue for these 10 speeds. Took it the dealer and they kept it a month but completed an update to the TCM under warranty which resolved the clunking issue. Now the shift points are not right. It normally happens when driving about 25-30mph when you try to maintain you speed up any incline or speed up it will not downshift unless you give it way more throttle than needed forcing it to downshift. If you just try to keep driving at that speed it is stuck in 7th gear and the engine lugs.

It has been some time since it was at the dealer as my wife didn’t want to do without her car again but at this point it is getting annoying. It is also out of warranty. Anyone else having this issue? Is there a way to adjust the shift points?

Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We have a 2018 limited that was having issues with hard shifting and clunking which seems to be a common issue for these 10 speeds. Took it the dealer and they kept it a month but completed an update to the TCM under warranty which resolved the clunking issue. Now the shift points are not right. It normally happens when driving about 25-30mph when you try to maintain you speed up any incline or speed up it will not downshift unless you give it way more throttle than needed forcing it to downshift. If you just try to keep driving at that speed it is stuck in 7th gear and the engine lugs.

It has been some time since it was at the dealer as my wife didn’t want to do without her car again but at this point it is getting annoying. It is also out of warranty. Anyone else having this issue? Is there a way to adjust the shift points?

You took the vehicle to a Ford dealer, they kept it for one month - and all they did was install a computer update (which probably took less than one hour)?

Why did it take the dealer one month to install the update? What did you discuss with them? It sounds as though you got the brush-off from the dealer, to push you past the warranty expiration.

OP
OP
M

marcus4

Reaction score
They said their transmission guy had a heartache and was out for a few weeks. Regardless The software update fixed the hard shifting problem and clunking. It just created another issue but were super close to 60,000 miles when we took it in.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They said their transmission guy had a heartache and was out for a few weeks. Regardless The software update fixed the hard shifting problem and clunking. It just created another issue but were super close to 60,000 miles when we took it in.

Sounds like a new transmission is in your future.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use ForScan and have reset my tranny and performed a relearn.

These vehicles go through driving and shifting habits. When I first purchased mine, (used), it was sluggish and shifted terribly. It also bounced a lot. I thought tune-up, new shocks, etc. I took it back to the dealer and the mechanic said it was fine, but since it was a used vehicle, the previous owner's driving habits were recorded and parameters were adjusted. After I reset everything, it ran like a new vehicle, had better performance, rode perfectly, transmission shifting was very smooth and my gas mileage went up significantly.

OP
OP
M

marcus4

Reaction score
I use ForScan and have reset my tranny and performed a relearn.

These vehicles go through driving and shifting habits. When I first purchased mine, (used), it was sluggish and shifted terribly. It also bounced a lot. I thought tune-up, new shocks, etc. I took it back to the dealer and the mechanic said it was fine, but since it was a used vehicle, the previous owner's driving habits were recorded and parameters were adjusted. After I reset everything, it ran like a new vehicle, had better performance, rode perfectly, transmission shifting was very smooth and my gas mileage went up significantly.
I have for scan as well but have not seen anything to reset/relearn the transmission. I will look again unless some has a link showing how to do it.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the ForScan Forum here and at ForScan. It's called resetting TCM
You can also reset the adaptive learning tables with ForScan.

Last edited: