2019 Expedition - Need Help/Advice - Possible Cam Phaser Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sando3877

Reaction score
Hey everyone - I know there are cam phaser issue posts all over the internet, but I'm looking for some insight/advice. So our 2019 Expedition with the 3.5L ecoboost has 27k miles and has the cold start rattle that seems to have gotten progressively worse. We started noticing some occasional issues during warm idle too. I did try the brake/gas pedal during cold startup, and it did seem to shorten the length of the rattle (I'm thinking I didn't crank long enough to fully eliminate it). My wife was driving the car last week and the check engine light came on when she started it - unfortunately she turned the car off before I could check for codes, and the light was gone when restarted. That was the final straw for me to bring it to the dealer for an actual diagnostic.

I got a call back from the dealer today, and they said there were no codes (as expected), but they referenced TSB 23-2143 and recommended replacing all 4 VCT units. I'm no expert, but in all my searching of this issue, I haven't seen anyone mention the VCTs as a fix. My concern is they're going to do this (at a $3k cost), not fix the problem, then recommend the cam phaser replacement (that my previous service advisor estimated would be $4800-6100). As a note, I'm out of warranty - I'll try calling Ford directly for some assistance, but have to assume I'll be footing the bill on any work done.

I haven't approved the work yet, and that's why I'm here. Does anyone have experience/suggestions about this? Does anyone think the VCT replacement will actually work? Is this actually a logical first step or should I call back and ask them to start with a cam phasers swap instead?

Sorry for the long post, but I appreciate any thoughts.

Bmac1955

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had same issue with cam phasers rattling on cold start soak. I videoed the clatter on a cold start and gave that to the Service tech. 29k and noise upon startup sounds likely to my experience sounds like CP's. There is as you read issues with them. If you have owned the vehicle from new I would contact Ford assistance for possible resolve. Good luck.

m3bs

Reaction score
Aren't VCT and CP the same thing? I just had mine done and the repair ticket simply calls them "Sprocket-camshaft", p/n ML3Z-6256-A.

OP
OP
S

sando3877

Reaction score
Are they the same thing? I asked the service advisor on the phone, he didn't know off hand but after a brief hold said they were the same... when I googled it, it says they're different.
When I look up TSB 23-2143 that was referenced in my recommended service, it looks like a similar part to your repair (HL3Z-6256-CD). Did the repair you had done fix the issue?

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its the same thing.

Id just call and make sure the cam phasers are what they are talking about replacing.

It would make absolutely no sense to not replace the actual cam phasers (all 4) if they are what rattles LOL

OP
OP
S

sando3877

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I'll give them a call to confirm and also make sure they're replacing with the updated part numbers.

m3bs

Reaction score
Are they the same thing? I asked the service advisor on the phone, he didn't know off hand but after a brief hold said they were the same... when I googled it, it says they're different.
When I look up TSB 23-2143 that was referenced in my recommended service, it looks like a similar part to your repair (HL3Z-6256-CD). Did the repair you had done fix the issue?

Yes it did. I only had the cold start rattle, with no other issues, but it doesn’t rattle now even after sitting for two weeks.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I always read about other owners experiencing these cam phaser problems and wonder if these are just inevitable in the pre-'22 versions, or a luck of the draw kinda thing. I did buy an 8-yr. extended warranty, but my primary thinking back then was that the moon roof or power steps were going to be the most likely to fail, and so far I haven't had issues with either. Vehicle is garaged far more than it is driven but always serviced in 5K mile intervals which I think is money well spent with today's cars. I'm just hoping that mine doesn't have to go under the knife.