2019 or 2020?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jberry16

Reaction score
Looking at a stealth 2019 and a king ranch 2020 to replace my 2019 xlt that was t-boned. Pros and cons please!
Similar mileage. The KR is about $12k more. Is it worth it?

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The stealth has the tow package, ccd and leds(I think). That’s a lot of great content and 12k in your pocket. The 20 might have some updated parts, you’d have to do some reading on that. There was a cutoff in April of 19 that had some update on the cam phasers. Might be an update on those in later models, but so far my august build 19 has held up.

Ugh_J

Reaction score
Much as I enjoy my 2020, I'd probably go with the stealth unless there's some feature in the King Ranch you can't live without. Put that $12k in the bank in case you have to do cam phasers and/or transmission. These things are asspensive to repair.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have any background information on either? CarFax, a friend in a Ford dealership who can look up all services and warranty trips? Just from reading on these forums, it seems that there are owners who have vehicles with multiple problems and others with little to none. Some may be attributed to how their previous owners treated their vehicles--regular service or not. If there were any way to have insight into both vehicle's past lives, I'd want to know as much as possible before I made my decision.

OP
OP
jberry16

jberry16

Reaction score
Do you have any background information on either? CarFax, a friend in a Ford dealership who can look up all services and warranty trips? Just from reading on these forums, it seems that there are owners who have vehicles with multiple problems and others with little to none. Some may be attributed to how their previous owners treated their vehicles--regular service or not. If there were any way to have insight into both vehicle's past lives, I'd want to know as much as possible before I made my decision.
Yes I called the dealers listed on the CARFAX. The stealth only saw the ford dealer until the warranty was up. In that time the engine leak was fixed and the pcm was reprogrammed twice. Once for engine shutter and second for cam phaser rattle update. Didn’t replace the cam phasers.

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The stealth has the tow package, ccd and leds(I think). That’s a lot of great content and 12k in your pocket. The 20 might have some updated parts, you’d have to do some reading on that. There was a cutoff in April of 19 that had some update on the cam phasers. Might be an update on those in later models, but so far my august build 19 has held up.
The limited trim level does not mean it has the ccd suspension. I believe it is an optional upgrade.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Always check engine idle hours when buying used. An idling endine is just like adding mileage and causes wear and not great if the number is super super high releative. Take the idle hours, multiply by 30 and that number can respresent additional engine "mileage" Many of these used expys, suburbans, tahoes are used by livery services as well

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Always check engine idle hours when buying used. An idling endine is just like adding mileage and causes wear and not great if the number is super super high releative. Take the idle hours, multiply by 30 and that number can respresent additional engine "mileage" Many of these used expys, suburbans, tahoes are used by livery services as well
Canucks told me to watch out for first gen power strokes from Canada because they are left idling all winter by loggers. Might not start back in that weather. The 7.3 was known for issues when left to idle. IIRC it was the cam and lifters not getting enough splash oiling when left idling for long periods. Ford made a box to crank it up for pto or if you needed to keep it warm idling.