2024 Expedition Max Hertz Rental- Uncontrolled acceleration 4 cars totaled

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rapower

Reaction score
Two weeks ago on August 2nd 2024, I rented a 2024 Ford Expedition Max from Hertz- Thrifty at SEA Airport. 3rd floor parking garage. It was backed into a spot, facing an opposing row of (thankfully) unoccupied rentals, also backed in. I got in the truck, adjusted the mirrors, my seat, connected my phone, put on my seatbelt and (cold) started the engine. The second I turned the knob from "P" to "D", the accelerator pegged full throttle. I stomped on the brakes and for a split second it disengaged, took my foot off and it was off to the races again- I took a hard left and 50 feet later t-boned the drivers front of Car 2, tossing it into Car 3, which launched in parallel into Car 4. The three cars hit served as an "external crumple zone" and the airbag thankfully did not deploy. Hertz is sending bills for all four vehicles. The good news is I am well insured on multiple fronts and beyond PSTD and soft tissue injuries, on the mend. My hope is the insurance firms on my side will conduct proper investigations. I could have just as easily launched off the third floor of the parking garage and possibly killed someone, including myself.
I will never drive or ride in a Ford truck again.

Attachments

• IMG_7830.jpg
    IMG_7830.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7832.jpg
    IMG_7832.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7834.jpg
    IMG_7834.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

HkChuck

Reaction score
I think I would report this incident to the NTSB as well as to some manager/department at Ford.
It just was't your day to die. Glad you are ok, more or less.