AC compressor, loud squeal for 20 sec then quit, no pressure change on gages, 2010 expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thomas Koenig

Reaction score
I was in a parking lot with AC on and I heard a loud squeal for about 20 seconds and the AC quit. I added some 134A. Put gages on and pressure was 110 on both high and low. I spun the clutch by hand and it had some resistance. I then started the car and turned on the AC. The clutch turned but the pressure on the high side did not change.

My theory is when it squealed for 20 sec is that the clutch seized up and the serpentine belt made the squeal. Then something broke when the squeal stoped and the AC stoped working. It makes no sound now but the clutch turns when the AC is on. Maybe the clutch is slipping so the compressor is not working?

Any Thoughts?

Last edited:

CoolViper777

Reaction score
Here's someone who had a similar problem. It was the clutch after all.

OP
OP
T

Thomas Koenig

Reaction score
Thank You, it was the clutch.

Problem solved for $52 with 5 min fix.
It was the clutch. I found a YouTube video by FordTeckMakuloco "Ford F150 & Expedition A/C not cooling: Crazy Compressor Clutch Failures!" https://youtu.be/W62U7zFrQR4?si=acbKTDwXpv41j1vG

It had the exact same squeal and symptoms. Starting in 2004 for F150 and 2007 Expeditions Ford started using a clutch with a rubber part that dry rots. I live in south Florida where rubber dry rots real fast in the heat.