Air Filter Swap Time!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

armyveterantn

Reaction score
I replaced an unknown brand, made in china and mileage air filter with a new Purolator A35642. I was seeing 19 to 20 mpg depending on driving situations. Lets see how she performs now.

Attachments

• both filters.jpg
    both filters.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Made in China Filter.jpg
    Made in China Filter.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Purolator Filter.jpg
    Purolator Filter.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 3

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
I don't know if the brand or it's origin would really matter that much, but that old one was definitely well past the point of needing replacement, so regardless of what you replaced it with, a clean air filter almost always helps with mpg, at least a little anyways...

Having said that, I usually stick with name brand filters (and other parts too) that I am familiar with and are known to be of great quality like Purolator, Fram etc....

Please post back with some numbers after a month or so if you see a significant difference :)

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Air Filters along with an oil change should be the 2 first things you do/check when buying a used vehicle. Make sure it is breathing decent, and you have a fresh baseline.

OP
OP
armyveterantn

armyveterantn

Reaction score
Air Filters along with an oil change should be the 2 first things you do/check when buying a used vehicle. Make sure it is breathing decent, and you have a fresh baseline.
Agreed, I know I should have replaced the air filter at the first oil change. However, I was battling misfire and P0420 codes a couple weeks after purchase. I'll check back in on this when I go to fill up the fuel tank again. I topped off the tank today, along with second oil change.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You get the misfire and P0420 codes sorted?