Are the A/C systems normally weak on these?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bolt snapper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I realize this is a pretty general and sophomoric question, but wondering if my Expedition's A/C is normal and typical, or if I need to do further exploration:

I have an '11 XLT that I got in the Fall of last year, so mostly past A/C season. I have a set of gauges, and when it started getting really hot (over 90), and it was cooler with the vent on and windows down than with the AC on, I put them on and the system looked low. It then seemed like I either added too much or got some air in the system (high side went a bit too high), so I took it to a local shop to have it vacuumed down and recharged. They did that today, and when I picked it up, the owner said it held vacuum and was fully recharged, but only put out about 55 degrees - they would normally like to see it colder than that.

Driving it the rest of the day today (it's about 95 today), it is really, really weak - even on Max/ recirc. Do these things just generally have weak systems, or do you think there's a problem that I need to have someone look for?

aircargoo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
….sounds corny but my 2nd gen had week ac…..I used to hang a sheet up behind front seats to keep ac up front,works great for after work when your driving all week alone. My 3rd gen has good ac….but I still use curtain/sheet gets colder faster y cool entire truck….i do put behind rear seats sometimes. It HELPS ALOT….especially after work when I hot and only one in truck….behindfrt seats I get cold FAST….its not a fix but if you can’t cool only up front decent then there’s issue……..that’s y people shouldn’t pump there ac with windows open….ruin system. Boss flips out on smokers having ac on with windows open….and it’s only a cab tow truck f550 2020-24 trucks….ac goes bad one season doing that ….on brand new truck….facts

RogerD

Reaction score
I have a 2007 bought it with 9K miles on it for a deal. The only gripe is the A/C has always seemed weak in the hot summer. I'm converting it to a camper and will build an insulated partition behind the seats and gutted the entire interior of the truck and insulating it. Also added a 5K BTU unit to the back and all rear windows will have custom insulated window covers. I assume this should fix.

JimR_TN

Reaction score
I recharged my AC in my 2007 last year and it worked well when I was driving but was not cold at idle. Well early this year the compressor locked up. I replaced the compressor, dryer and TXV valve and it is now icy cold even at idle on a 90+ day! So your compressor could just be worn out.

RogerD

Reaction score
I recharged my AC in my 2007 last year and it worked well when I was driving but was not cold at idle. Well early this year the compressor locked up. I replaced the compressor, dryer and TXV valve and it is now icy cold even at idle on a 90+ day! So your compressor could just be worn out.
My 2007 has 115K miles on it and has always seemed weak in the hot summers. All other seasons it blows real cold.

max78

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just replaced the AC compressor on my 09 Expy. It was at 230K miles and still running, but not cooling well at all. Pressure were a little low but not super bad. I bought a used low millage AC compressor from a salvage yard for $40, turns out it was a brand new compressor, score! I compared the old one the the one I got and it was a night and day different in suction on the low side, original one had close to zero suction, the new one would suck your finger into it if you let it. This was off the car with me turning it by hand slowly.

Installed the new compressor and its never been colder! currently getting 50 degrees out of the vent when its 100+ outside. It gets the truck comfortable in a minute or two now, where it was never really comfortable before.

reklaw

Reaction score
You have an XLT so i'm guessing that you do not have the automatic climate controls. I also don't know how many blend doors you have but maybe it's not closed and that's making it seem week? I had an Explorer before the Expedition and when the blend door stopped working for the second time and I replace the motor and it didn't changed I picked up a used control and it solved the problem on that.

I'm currently having the same kind of issue with my 2008 King Ranch. Drivers side does not get as cold as the passengers side, or maybe it does but it takes awhile. i have the automatic system so I still need to pull the fuses to try and reset it. You'll read on here about hearing blend doors clicking, mine does not which leads me to think that I may have a different problem going on, maybe it's my controls that are bad?

Dustin Gebhardt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My '07 (313k miles) seems a bit weak, but not too terrible. I have a temperature gauge in the center vent and I'm normally in the 40'F to 50'F (ambient temperature dependent). In the Spring or Fall, it will get down to the mid 30's at the vent. I have a set of AC gauges and I like to keep the charge on the higher end with the low between 35 and 45 psi and the high between 225 and 275psi (at 90'F to 95'F ambient, high speed fan blowing on the front grille). My compressor is also a bit noisy, so I suspect that it's getting old and not doing it's job fully.

LouNawlins

Reaction score
I realize this is a pretty general and sophomoric question, but wondering if my Expedition's A/C is normal and typical, or if I need to do further exploration:

I have an '11 XLT that I got in the Fall of last year, so mostly past A/C season. I have a set of gauges, and when it started getting really hot (over 90), and it was cooler with the vent on and windows down than with the AC on, I put them on and the system looked low. It then seemed like I either added too much or got some air in the system (high side went a bit too high), so I took it to a local shop to have it vacuumed down and recharged. They did that today, and when I picked it up, the owner said it held vacuum and was fully recharged, but only put out about 55 degrees - they would normally like to see it colder than that.

Driving it the rest of the day today (it's about 95 today), it is really, really weak - even on Max/ recirc. Do these things just generally have weak systems, or do you think there's a problem that I need to have someone look for?
1. Over as well as under levels will cause temperature issues with any A/C unit.
2. One possible and frequent cause of less than cold air with Ford Expeditions is with the Blend Actuator which seems to default towards hit over cold. while the part is relatively cheap, the labor intensive repair makes it expensive.
When mine acts up, I reset it by removing the two fuses (mine is a 1997) for a couple minutes. There is a post on this website and YouTube concerning this issue.

Utah Driver

Reaction score
I am not familiar with your particular model, but often you can trouble shoot by pinching off the heater core coolant hoses. That way you know for sure that the the hot coolant isn't effecting the temperature.