CEL p0605 - new ecm ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VA epxy

Reaction score
Hoping someone can guide me thru some testing. 2010 El, limited

First started off with the "check fuel filler" message on the display.
Cleaned the filler flap area as shown on you tube, reset the message using the buttons on the dash,
A scanner it showed the p0457 p0446. code. Kept getting the error /code.
Last time I checked, the scanner also showed a p0605.
I found the canister purge valve to be defective. So I replace that and that solved the p0457 code/check fuel filler error.
But the P0605 code keeps coming back.
I clear the code and the truck runs great, after a few minutes or so,the cel comes back and the truck feels a bit sluggish.
I have read that grounds should be checked, or it needs a new ecm.
Can someone tell me which grounds to check? Where/how?

down under the car, I had done some testing at the charcoal canister. I could not get any voltage at the selenoid.
Red or blue/green wire.
Followed those wires all the way back to the ecm, and still dont think I get any voltage from those wires.
(Pulled the ecm plug, used volt meter to test the location of the red and blue/green wire, with key in/on, but not started).
Wondering what else I need to test.
i called ford dealership, they said they could test it, but would not be able to flash (which i read they could do) and that they would not be able to replace it (being a 2010).
just want to test out all things before buying a refurbished ecm online.

Thank you.

S20Workstation4

Reaction score
First thing I would do is a PCM reset, follow this video from Fordtechmakuloco: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZAsoqmqhdM

The P1000 just means that all the monitors aren't complete yet, and not enough drive cycles have been completed. It will always come up after a battery disconnect, clearing the CEL, or a PCM Reset. The code will clear itself after a while of driving.

OP
OP
V

VA epxy

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the cel came back after a few miles of driving.
Any other recommendations to try?
Scan tool shows the same p0605 code.

S20Workstation4

Reaction score
Next thing I would try is to unplug all the PCM Connections, and look for corrosion on the harness end and the PCM end.
It may not be the cause, but it's worth a shot.

OP
OP
V

VA epxy

Reaction score
Unplugged all the connections. No signs of corrosion. Took off the protective caps on the back of the connectors, and still no signs of corrosion.
is there a way I can I test if the pcm is getting 12v going in?
And a way to test if getting correct voltage coming out?

S20Workstation4

Reaction score
It can ruled out that voltage isn't the issue.
If you weren't getting 12 Volts to the PCM, the truck wouldn't start, there would be a rapid-flashing PATS light and odometer dashing.
the truck runs, the PCM is outputting the correct voltage/resistance at all connections.

It is most likely that the PCM is going bad, but the final thing I would try is to have the dealer, or yourself, re-flash the PCM.
Re-flashing the PCM - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39IaVoc0EHs

If you don't have the IDS Software, it is best for the dealer to do it.
If the PCM re-flash fails to fix the P0605, then you could either order a new PCM, or get a PCM from a junkyard and have the dealer flash the PCM to the car.

- Joseph

OP
OP
V

VA epxy

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I had called the dealership yesterday, asking if they could reflash it, and they said they cant. He said they could only diagnose what was wrong/confirm if it was a bad pcm. He said the p0605, likely meant it needed a new pcm.
So even if I get one from the junkyard, my dealership say they cant reflash them.
I dont know if it's because its 14years old...Or they just want me to buy a new vehicle.
I was starting to looking online at the couple of vendors that sells them preprogrammed to your vin.

S20Workstation4

Reaction score
Most likely the dealer just wants you to get a new vehicle. I'm sure they have the software for the Triton engine's still, and they definitely have all the equipment needed for a re-flash...
Online vendors are probably your best bet at getting a new PCM. Best of luck.