Clunking From Transmission Area/Rear End Over Rough Roads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve been dealing with a clunking noise over broken pavement. I’ve had it looked at by more than one shop. Every shop so far has pointed to the front end.

Clunk started shortly after having the trans dropped to replace a torque converter. Took it back to the shop and they supposedly tightened up some form of heat shield. One of the rattles clunks I was experiencing after the trans drop did cease however there was still a small clunk.

Replaced all sway bar end links and bushings l, clunk still persists.

Over the past year I’ve replaced most of the front suspension because I wanted to lift it a bit over stock.

Replaced Bilstien 5100s with Icon front coil over setup, clunk still persists. Still have 5100s on the rear.

Had a mechanically inclined family member ride with me and they feel it’s coming from the back area or transmission area but not the front. I feel their assessment is correct as I’ve gone over the entire front end and can find no worn parts that I haven’t already replaced.

So now… After having a trans dropped three different times, could the clunk be related to bad trans mounts? It’s gotten absurd that everyone can hear it and say it’s the front but then also say everything in the front end is tight…

I’m done throwing parts at it. Again clunk is primarily over rough roads but it’s also present when climbing grades on the highway and the trans is under load and down shifts. Also present but very faintly over rough highway stretches too. The most noticeable clunking almost rattle noise is slower speeds over rough country roads…

Any helpful thoughts appreciated at this point.