Dual Optima Batteries Installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
I managed to get my dual Optima battery tray installed yesterday.
What a great setup. The guys at Wrangler give you just about everything you need to install the tray. They have complete kits that include all the wiring, but I decided to order just the tray. Even when you order the tray only, they still include the longer ground wire and some vacuum hose to relocate the evap can that hides behind the stock battery. You'll still have to hit the auto parts store to get some vacuum line fittings to extend the connections though. The tray itself is heavy gauge steel with a powder coat. It even has a built in bracket for a solonoid to join the batteries when you choose.

Although the fit is TIGHT, both of the batteries do fit in that small area vacated by the original battery and tray. It takes about an hour or so to install and the wiring can take a few minutes to a couple of hours, depending on how you decide to set it up. Initially, I'm just going to run them in parallel with a quick disconnect on one of them in case the truck has to sit for an extended period. Eventually I may install an isolator and remote solonoid, but that's down the road.

I highly recommend these guys, they make a great product, were super helpfull and shipped the tray quickly.
http://www.wranglernw.com/pc-6363-8...d-expedition-lincoln-navigator-1997-2006.aspx

blacklow

Full Access Members
Reaction score
lets see some pics, will like to do something like that, cause i want to add more audio

OP
OP
tonydiv

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
IMAGE_055.jpg
The tray is heavy gauge steel powdercoated.

IMAGE_057.jpg
Like I said, the fit is tight. You can't use the side terminals for adding accessories.

IMAGE_058.jpg

Right now I just have a quick disconnect on the second battery. I may wire it differently later, depending on what I do with aux lights and the sound system.

Oh, I also took the small evap box and relocated it in front of the washer fluid resevoir. It weighs virtually nothing, so it's just zip tied in place.

Last edited:

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
looks nice. tight fit but hey....it fits! wanting to do the same thing to my expy in the near future.

gjhanson2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you buy the entire kit or just the bracket? I've been looking for something like this for a while, I'm just not willing to spend $460 for the kit. The $133 for the bracket is tempting, but do you know what I would have to buy in order to put it together?

OP
OP
tonydiv

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
I only bought the battery tray.

There are several ways to wire them.

Simple: Just wire them in parallel. It makes them essentially one big battery.
Need: a couple of battery leads and some terminals.

Main w/ a backup: You have a main battery as usual, but with the flick of a switch, the second battery is brought on line. The second battery only charges when the switch is on.
Need: battery cables, a switch (either a marine style switch or a remote solonoid style)

Optional: You can also add an isolator to the above setup and have both batteries charging all the time. (marine style isolator $70 - $110, roughly)

Main w/ an Aux: You have a main battery that runs the vehicle, and an Aux battery that runs an accessory (stereo, winch, lights) ONLY. The isolator allows both batteries to charge when the vehicle is running. Loads are separate so the headlights won't dim when the bass hits on your sound system.
Need: A battery isolator, cables and some 8 or 6 ga wire and terminals.

Optional: You can also add a battery switch to this setup to combine batteries. eg. if the vehicle won't start.

At this time I used the "simple" solution with a quick disconnect on the second battery. I'll pull it off if I have to let the truck sit for several days. If I return to a dead battery, I'll just hook up the second battery and drive away.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
anyone know of a setup like this for 04? i'd love to do this...

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i dont. but you could buy the box and test fit it. i think the batterys are the same size. i could be wrong though. and then just make your own bracket for the box. it should work that way. i think i might do this but have a red top to runn everything a yellow top for lights stereo and winch later down the road. and of course 0 gauge wire.

OP
OP
tonydiv

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Actually, the one they sent me is for the 2nd gen trucks. The difference is a 1/2" in where the front hold down J-bolt attaches. I think they must have discontinued the gen 1 version since the difference is so slight.

Although they sell the tary by itself, keep in mind that they don't really list it that way, so you need to talk to them before you complete your order.