Exhaust Manifold Leak Cheap Fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have not used that brand, nor had I heard of them. Looks like a good option though.

I used a different brand that I got locally at O'Reilly's Auto Parts for a Ford 3.0L and it worked great. I think it was ~$20 and took 10-15 minutes to install it. I'll fix the right way when I need to remove the head, but I am not fighting that in the truck.

OP
OP
B

blacktail

Reaction score
Very interesting, thanks.

In your situation, which bolt was broken? I stumbled across this particular manufacturer trying to find a solution for a broken passenger side lower bolt.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It was the passenger rear upper bolt that was broken off. I had been trying to find the exhaust leak, it was just a light ticking. I actually found it while replacing the coil pack since 1 of the 3 mounting points is this stud. I was shocked to find the bolt broken in half when the bracket started moving after removing the upper coil pack mounting bolts.

Here's a couple pics, but in this case there is a bit of the manifold mounting flange on the head sticking out to secure it. The 2 nuts are to lock the stud in place.

Attachments

• Ranger 3_0L exh manifold 2.jpg
    Ranger 3_0L exh manifold 2.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Ranger 3_0L exh manifold.jpg
    Ranger 3_0L exh manifold.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
B

blacktail

Reaction score
Thanks for that.

In my case, there are two holes at the back of the head just above the exhaust manifold. One small with not threads, and a larger one that is currently occupied by a large bolt supporting the transmission fluid dipstick.

It is my understanding that the specific bracket for a rear lower broken bolt shares the dipstick bolt, has an insert into the unthreaded hole and then a third bolt is torqued down onto the surface of the head at the lower bolt hole.

I will get it and report back how it works.