expedition xlt 03 key fob programming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbat

Reaction score
Vehicle locks won't cycle on the 8th turn left on "on"? What could be the problem?

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you unlock the doors before starting the key cycles?

OP
OP
K

kbat

Reaction score
expedition 03 xlt

yes the vehicle doors were unlocked. kept trying the sequence didnt work, should i unplug the battery to try to restart the system or take it to the dealer?

MYEXH8ME

Reaction score
How many keys and key fobs do you have? If you don't have at least two of each that are already programmed to the vehicle, don't attempt to program any more. I know it sucks, because I have only one key and key fob programmed to mine, and if I try to program my 2nd set, I will lock myself out of my own vehicle. It is better to take it in before you have to have it towed in.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have the doors open while you're doing this? Don't think it makes any mention of it in the manual, but I think I had mine closed when I did mine. Also, when you say the doors were unlocked, are you saying they had been unlocked, or that you pressed the unlock button?

My guess is that you're timing out. Get in, close the door and lock the truck. Wait a few seconds. Press the unlock button, inset the key go from OFF (1) to ON (3), counting every time you hit the 3 position. Stop when you hit the count of 8, which should end you at the 3 position. This has to be done in under 10 seconds. Do it in a fast, but controlled rhythm. I think I was hitting the 3 position every second.

I made sure to "act" out all the steps before attempting, since stopping to read can cause a time out, and have you restart all over.

I'd post a video of it, but I don't know where my other key fob is. Also, I don't think you need to have 2 key fobs to do this procedure. This should only be the case if programming keys, since it's a safety feature of PATS II.